Looking to switch into Insurance Field

MikeyR

Expert
This is a question for your insurance agency owners or possibly mangers, I am going to school right now and just move to the great big city known as Los Angeles I want to move towards a career inside of Insurance but currently right now all I have is 3.5 years at Trader Joe's (Well Respected Grocery Store) so I definitely have the customer experience portion down but with little actual insurance experience.

Now I would be looking for something part time I was wondering if you guys think that trying to get a role as CSR would be the easiest way to start to get experience, or I am better off going to the agent route getting licensed and then trying to find an independent agency to train me.

Essentially what can I do to make myself standout? I am in the process of reading just about every book that I can find on insurance but I feel like most that I have come cross focus on just building a client relation (I understand this is important but I feel comfortable in this area) and sales. I want to focus on the technical aspects what is expected out of a CSR vs out of an agent? What are the industry norms? Obviously it would be really hard to learn this all from a book which is I am trying to find a way to get the experience.

For those who have been in the field for awhile how do you continue to learn more?
Do you just research and try to stay well read?
Do you find certifications sufficient?
I have noticed some community colleges, offer classes is that valid?

TDLR : Really excited and interested in Insurance trying to find my way into the industry, Do I start as a CSR or skip straight to agent? What can I do to stick out on applications since I won't have any prior experience?

The first thing I would do is hone up on the use of the English language. Your current and past posts indicate that you are not originally from the U.S. Getting a CSR position might be best in your case since you know absolutely nothing about insurance, which makes passing the exams just a tad more difficult. Once you get into an agency and see what a day looks like and how much fun this career can be, then study for and take your exams. Terms and concepts will make much more sense after you have some time in the business. It is going to take a year or two before you know what you are doing

The first thing I would do is hone up on the use of the English language. Your current and past posts indicate that you are not originally from the U.S. Getting a CSR position might be best in your case since you know absolutely nothing about insurance, which makes passing the exams just a tad more difficult. Once you get into an agency and see what a day looks like and how much fun this career can be, then study for and take your exams. Terms and concepts will make much more sense after you have some time in the business. It is going to take a year or two before you know what you are doing
Bieleve it or not I have grown up in a southern california my entire life and only know english. I am just a terrible writer and have poor grammar skills when it comes to talking I do fine. Just don’t ask me to put my thoughts down on paper!

Alright thanks for the suggestions!

The first thing I would suggest is taking a step back to understand what it takes to be successful in which market you would like to work. Then do a critical evaluation of your skills set in relation to that job and begin to improve in those areas first. Learning insurance is the easiest part.

I say this because based on your two posts in this thread I would not consider an interview for you, let alone hire you. Communication skills are very important to being successful and based on your own comments above you are weak. And do not be fooled into believing your statement about being a terrible writer but doing fine when talking, they are not mutually exclusive.

This reply may come across as cold or cruel, and I apologize if so because it is not my intent.

This is a question for your insurance agency owners or possibly mangers

First item... if you are not asking questions to on the ground sales agents (we call them producers or closers here) your not headed the right direction.

Second item... sales is more than customer service... you service after you make a sale... and people don't regularly show up to buy... you have to go out and get them... and get them to give up their money for something they can't eat, smell, or taste... they can touch the paper... ok... they can smell it too, but haven't ever had a customer yet that wanted to smell a policy.:laugh:

Asking questions is how you get started... asking questions to the right people is how you get good answers... limiting to whom you ask those questions is a sure fired why in this business to be sold... and no one likes to be sold.:no:

This reply may come across as cold or cruel, and I apologize if so because it is not my intent.

No, I appreciate the honest feedback its why I came to this forum. I will make sure to work towards improving my writing skills and practicing my speech skills, I have one more English Critical writing class this upcoming fall term so hopefully that will be the refresher I need.

I will also make sure to spend some more time reading over what I actually write, my brain tends to work faster than what I write so I am notorious for skipping words in my writing.

Although I am confident in my ability to talk and service I will continue to practice and try to be aware of different things while I continue my job at Trader Joe's.

First item... if you are not asking questions to on the ground sales agents (we call them producers or closers here) your not headed the right direction.

Hahaha, Sorry didn't mean to leave anybody out here just wanted to hear from the people who did the hiring what I could do to make myself competitive on an application. Now I am going to assume you yourself are a producer, do you have to service your own clients? If not and you have somebody who does the servicing inside the office, what is a common mistake you see them make? What is something that makes them stand out or something that a great CSR does?

I am just curious what being a CSR entails like what is there actual job! Feel free to chime in anything that you feel might help!

And do not be fooled into believing your statement about being a terrible writer but doing fine when talking, they are not mutually exclusive.

I think you are being a little harsh & some of the top earning agents I know, who employ dozens of staff members, have some typing & grammar issues. Some even have dyslexia. So, I believe you are incorrect in stating factually that a person cant possibly be good at communicating verbally if they are terrible at written communications. Some of the agents I most respect for their work ethic, story telling & ability to speak in a language consumers can relate to have trouble with the written word. on the flip side, some people with perfect looking resumes & cover letters & masters degrees were complete failures because they had trouble picking up the phone to call people, working long hours or not looking down their nose at everyday consumers.

Last edited:
This is a question for your insurance agency owners or possibly mangers, I am going to school right now and just move to the great big city known as Los Angeles I want to move towards a career inside of Insurance but currently right now all I have is 3.5 years at Trader Joe's (Well Respected Grocery Store) so I definitely have the customer experience portion down but with little actual insurance experience.

Now I would be looking for something part time I was wondering if you guys think that trying to get a role as CSR would be the easiest way to start to get experience, or I am better off going to the agent route getting licensed and then trying to find an independent agency to train me.

Essentially what can I do to make myself standout? I am in the process of reading just about every book that I can find on insurance but I feel like most that I have come cross focus on just building a client relation (I understand this is important but I feel comfortable in this area) and sales. I want to focus on the technical aspects what is expected out of a CSR vs out of an agent? What are the industry norms? Obviously it would be really hard to learn this all from a book which is I am trying to find a way to get the experience.

For those who have been in the field for awhile how do you continue to learn more?
Do you just research and try to stay well read?
Do you find certifications sufficient?
I have noticed some community colleges, offer classes is that valid?

TDLR : Really excited and interested in Insurance trying to find my way into the industry, Do I start as a CSR or skip straight to agent? What can I do to stick out on applications since I won't have any prior experience?

One Life America can get you started in the Insurance world on a part-time basis . . .

If you are teachable, coachable and willing to put in the time & effort - you could be making $1000 a week shortly after getting your Life and Health license.

It's not rocket science. Focus on selling Final Expense & Medicare products.

California pays $636 or $318 to enroll a client into a Medicare Advantage plan ( 2020 )

My cell # is in my signature below - give me a call.

One Life America can get you started in the Insurance world on a part-time basis . . .

If you are teachable, coachable and willing to put in the time & effort - you could be making $1000 a week shortly after getting your Life and Health license.

It's not rocket science. Focus on selling Final Expense & Medicare products.

California pays $636 or $318 to enroll a client into a Medicare Advantage plan ( 2020 )

My cell # is in my signature below - give me a call.

Now I have 0 experience in Insurance is this something that would require me to have previous experience, and I notice you said I would be able to do this part time!

Now my end goal is P&C Agency would any of my experience be able to roll into that?
Do you have an affiliation with One Life, I would be interested in learning more!

Now I have 0 experience in Insurance is this something that would require me to have previous experience, and I notice you said I would be able to do this part time!

Now my end goal is P&C Agency would any of my experience be able to roll into that?
Do you have an affiliation with One Life, I would be interested in learning more!

You don't need any experience to be an Agent. You need a license and a good work ethic.

You most def can do this part-time.

We don't do P&C - but getting in with peeps that do is easy.

My affiliation with One Life is that of an Agent Coordinator / Agency Builder.

Want to learn more - call me.

Back