Looks like a great forum!

Hello All,

Well here I am with all of you now. I found this forum when I was doing some research on becoming a independent agent, after spending some time as a captive agent.

About me: I started with MetLife, then moved to NYLife for a while. I did not do to well, but fell in love with the business. I was going to school full-time at the time, and maybe did not focus on the right things. Maybe I should say I did not focus on anything.

No excuses, but with Met there was no training at all, and then at NYL there was all training, but an interesting and overbearing manager whom only would go out on the biggest cases. His line was just... "let's do what we have to do." That was really all he had, and 25 agents working for him that were dropping off like flys.
But like I said, no excuses. My failure comes down to me and my lack of commitment and self-confidence. They both had great product lines, but maybe to much, and not enough direction or focus in a particular area for me.

Life went on, and I finished my under-grad in Business/marketing and moved to Japan with my family. We have been here a while, but we are coming home in 2009. As I have thought what I want to do, I keep coming back to insurance.

I am a CA Life Agent, and am current with my CE. I have written a marketing plan, and plan to hit the ground running next year. My focus will be on LTC sells, CA Partnership in particular. Hence the user name. Will probably be setting up in the SF East Bay.

I don't really think I want to be a captive agent again, but have little idea of how to setup my business as an independent agent. Especially in regards to health ins. for my family, office setup, etc.
Any advice on this subject would be of great interest to me!

I am glad to be with you all,
Steve

Hey Steve. Welcome!

I'm selling partnership LTC plans in CA also. I'm using About Us - LifeStyle Insurance Services, Inc. as my GA for all my long term care cases. They have everyone (except the captives) involved in the partnership- Met, John Hancock, Genworth etc. I could use my other GA that handles all my life sales, but their LTC knowledge is subpar. These guys will really help you with all your LTC cases. I think they're worth a look.

Being independent, you'll just need to buy E&O insurance.

As far as office setup...it's all a matter of preference. I've never had a LTC client ask to sit with me at my office. I'm always at their home or somewhere neutral. So working from home is definately an option. Do a search on this subject...it's been discussed many times.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info JRoot,

LifeStyle looks good. Looks like they have the LTC covered. Have they helped you with any seminars or group sells. Hope to sell the Met Group Partnership product. Who would be the best to get info from, the GA or MetLife itself?

Thanks in Advance,
Steve

Hey Steve. Welcome!

Being independent, you'll just need to buy E&O insurance.

As far as office setup...it's all a matter of preference. I've never had a LTC client ask to sit with me at my office. I'm always at their home or somewhere neutral. So working from home is definately an option. Do a search on this subject...it's been discussed many times.

Good luck!

A warning:

I should be calling back leads and making some money. Instead, I'm reading the back-and-forth posts of Nate, Winter, Mr. Bill, et al. Who can resist political threads 25 pages long?

You can call it an insurance forum, but just putting lipstick on a pig does change the fact it is a pig.

Got to limit myself here to a half hour per day. :D

Hi Charpress,

2AM last night my wife comes down stairs and asks what I am doing. "I'm looking at thiis great new forum I found." Finding it is a little addictive, too.

Getting leads, calling, making money and finding problems to post about here.... that might be as good as just reading about the business. Lead by doing? Interesting idea. Thanks for the warning. I will follow your advice, or the wife will make me get a real job again.
:arghh:

Steve

A warning:

I should be calling back leads and making some money. Instead, I'm reading the back-and-forth posts of Nate, Winter, Mr. Bill, et al. Who can resist political threads 25 pages long?

You can call it an insurance forum, but just putting lipstick on a pig does change the fact it is a pig.

Got to limit myself here to a half hour per day. :D

Back