Lose SSDI = Lose Medicare?

Fisher

Guru
1000 Post Club
GA
Met with a 58 year old lady this week who has been on Medicare (A & B) since 2003 due to disability. She tells me that SSA is disputing her SSDI payments since she has been working part-time and apparently making too much money. She says that her September SSDI check is the last one she will receive according to SSA.

Now I know that we don't always get the full story but my question is: If a U65 Medicare beneficiary loses their SSDI do they also lose their Medicare bennies?

----------

Stumper, right? 102 views, no responses. I don't feel like a noob, at least. lol

Called Medicare and after stumping them for a bit as well the answer is if a beneficiary does lose their SSDI eligibility they also lose A & B on the last day of that month.

Just getting on for the day. Yes, Medicare as a result of being on SS disability will be lost if the SS disability case is also turned off.

This is where government makes no sense to me..... so now, she needs to quit her job to get back on SSDI to get back on Medicare. I've seen this happen to a few people I know. A small life improvement is a bad thing.

Okay, I'm just venting.... I'm done now.

Now she gets to be on medicaid.

Dan

If a person who qualifies for Medicare prior to 65 due to a disability is no longer disabled--meaning he or she is now able to work--should that person continue to receive Medicare as a disability benefit?

If a person who qualifies for Medicare prior to 65 due to a disability is no longer disabled--meaning he or she is now able to work--should that person continue to receive Medicare as a disability benefit?

That's rhetorical, right?

This is where practical application and 'book' application differ a bit. I've known several people over my life who where disabled, but able to work a few hours a week. They would do this partly because it helps in their recovery and partly to keep from being totally bored. The net result ends up being if they try to work a few hours, they get kicked off the programs that help them survive.

This is a case that sounds like SSDI going away makes some sense, but to pull the healthcare at the same time means that bottom line, they can't work because of the loss of benefits, rather then allowing them to graduate off of the benefits.

Its a bad case of a cookie cutter model doesn't fit disability very well. There is no good answer since abuse is rampant in the system, but the current system is pretty broken.

Dan

Its a bad case of a cookie cutter model doesn't fit disability very well. There is no good answer since abuse is rampant in the system, but the current system is pretty broken.

The entire SSDI and welfare (not equating the two) system is broken. I recall an econ class in college where we spent some time talking about govt payment systems that encouraged malingering (in the case of SSDI) or laziness (welfare).

If you can work or want to work but your current stipend goes away when you earn a buck over the threshold there are few incentives to get off your butt and work.

Some states welfare systems provide the equivalent of $35k+ to a single mom with two kids. Considering the benefits are tax free that is like working a job paying $50k.

The rise in the number of former workers on SSDI has been significant since the recession started (and still has not recovered).

I am new to this forum thing and brand new to Medicare Insurance sales, but I have been working for a Disability law firm for the past 2 years (until about a week ago when they moved me into Medicare Sales).

If she appeals the loss of her SSDI benefits within 10 days of receiving the notice, she should be able to continue to receive her monthly checks and her healthcare coverage until the "investigation" is complete. She will, however, end up owing back all the monthly payments she received while her case was being looked at if she is deemed no longer disabled. It can take months for her to actually be taken off benefits. If she does end up losing her SSDI benefits, she can apply for medicare-only coverage going forward as well.

Back