Losing Dual Eligibility SEP

LewB

Expert
I received a referral from a client. His friend is leaving California and is dual eligible with a separate Part D drug plan paid for by Medi-Cal. She is moving to Colorado and will no longer be dual eligible.

I know she has a SEP for a MAPD but another agent told me she also has a SEP for a Medicare Supplement. I can find no mention of SEP at Medicare.gov or at DORA (department of regulatory agencies) for Colorado.

Am I missing something?

I received a referral from a client. His friend is leaving California and is dual eligible with a separate Part D drug plan paid for by Medi-Cal. She is moving to Colorado and will no longer be dual eligible.

I know she has a SEP for a MAPD but another agent told me she also has a SEP for a Medicare Supplement. I can find no mention of SEP at Medicare.gov or at DORA (department of regulatory agencies) for Colorado.

Am I missing something?

Yes you are. First SEPS do not pertain to med supps however she should qualify for GI do to a change of permanent residence.Part D LIS is funded through the Federal Gov. not the state .Medi-cal or Medicaid is a state program.Chances are if she qualifies for med-cal she will qualify for medicaid in Colorado.And usually a med supp is not suitable for a person who s income qualifies for medicaid unless it is a state that medicaid pay the med supp premiums

Am I missing something?

If she is in an MA plan now then she will be GI for a sup. If not in an MA plan now then check with the new state. Some states allow GI for loss of Medicaid.

I know mine is one that does not. No idea on Colorado.

If she is leaving California and moving out of the coverage area, she is GI. It is right in the guide.

Attachments

• 02110-Medicare-Medigap.guide.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Unless I am missing something she has no GI rights but has a SEP to purchase an MAPD. She was on MediCal and never purchased an MAPD so as far as I can tell there are no GI rights when a person looses their dual eligibility.

Unless I am missing something she has no GI rights but has a SEP to purchase an MAPD. She was on MediCal and never purchased an MAPD so as far as I can tell there are no GI rights when a person looses their dual eligibility.

Sorry, I read that she had mapd. My bad

Not a problem I just wanted to make sure I was providing her with the right info.

Back