Losing the discount

Don't they all remove the spousal discount after these events??

Apparently so, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Seems a bit callous to send a widow(er) a premium increase shortly after losing their spouse.

I am not giving them any money..when I get to that age!

"THAT AGE" is only 55.

FWIW I joined a few years ago. Getting their periodicals allows me to spy on them. Some of the articles are quite good and not so left wing that I can actually use them in blogposts.

But most of them are as bad, if not worse, than reading Rachel's social work magazine. Talk about RADICAL LEFT.

The magazine, not my wife.

Apparently so, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Seems a bit callous to send a widow(er) a premium increase shortly after losing their spouse.

"THAT AGE" is only 55.

FWIW I joined a few years ago. Getting their periodicals allows me to spy on them. Some of the articles are quite good and not so left wing that I can actually use them in blogposts.

But most of them are as bad, if not worse, than reading Rachel's social work magazine. Talk about RADICAL LEFT.

The magazine, not my wife.

Actually it's age 50.

AARP is not an insurance carrier and they have no rating. Private joke here on the forum.

Here is their history.

AARP History

And don't forget............

"Critics of AARP offer an alternative version of the group's origins. 60 Minutes reported in a 1978 exposé that AARP had been established as a marketing device by Leonard Davis, founder of the Colonial Penn Group insurance companies, after he met Ethel Percy Andrus.[10] According to critics, until the 1980s AARP was controlled by Davis, who promoted its image as a non-profit advocate of retirees in order to sell insurance to members.[11] Possibly as a result of this report, AARP conducted a competitive bidding process, and, in 1980, shifted the insurance contracts available to members to Prudential Financial." :wideeyed:

Colonial Penn...Alex's future employer.

By the way, although most of us (actually) agree that AARP is not a licensed insurer, it has been sued in a class action for soliciting insurance as an unlicensed agent in California. The suit was dismissed by the trial court, a ruling reversed on appeal by a Ninth Circuit panel.

Apparently, through various agreements with UHC, AARP is entitled to retain 4.95% of premiums paid. They claim it is a royalty. The plaintiff(s) in the case claim it is a commission which requires a license to solicit.

Panel opinion: FindLaw's United States Ninth Circuit case and opinions.

Back