Loss of a client

Hopes

Super Genius
Georgia
oh wow!

Just got a secure email from UHC to inform me a member passed away...oh wow, don't know what to do.

Wife called me in July to tell me husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in May. I gave her what information I knew to give about contacting American Cancer Society for help/support, etc. I called a month ago to check on her and she said she was "fine" but I don't know if she really knew it was me.

What is the professional way to handle this? How soon do these notifications go out?

I will, at least, send a condolences card but don't know how far to go...flowers to funeral? Phone call? .... experienced a lot death myself and it's such a personal time...wonder if it will even matter - to her. But, then, I think flowers for sure, if it's not too late.

I didn't have that much contact with them - a few phone calls. I call my clients, periodically, to check in - some clients I never reach (leave message but no return call). Some answer and I know they remember me by the way they talk - some I think are spread so thin they don't remember much.

…….my first loss of a client....my very first client.

Thanks for any guidance.

oh wow!

Just got a secure email from UHC to inform me a member passed away...oh wow, don't know what to do.

Wife called me in July to tell me husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in May. I gave her what information I knew to give about contacting American Cancer Society for help/support, etc. I called a month ago to check on her and she said she was "fine" but I don't know if she really knew it was me.

What is the professional way to handle this? How soon do these notifications go out?

I will, at least, send a condolences card but don't know how far to go...flowers to funeral? Phone call? .... experienced a lot death myself and it's such a personal time...wonder if it will even matter - to her. But, then, I think flowers for sure, if it's not too late.

I didn't have that much contact with them - a few phone calls. I call my clients, periodically, to check in - some clients I never reach (leave message but no return call). Some answer and I know they remember me by the way they talk - some I think are spread so thin they don't remember much.

Thanks for any guidance.
I wouldn't call, but I'd send a card. Personally, I wouldn't send flowers unless you were close. If you do send flowers, be sure to stick a couple of your buiness cards in the arrangement for a little bit of advertising. :yes:

oh wow!

Thanks for any guidance.

First - I'm surprised that UHC sent you an e-mail to let you know. I've had a few UHC med supp clients pass and UHC did not inform me.

Secondly - I'd send a condolence card. I wouldn't send flowers and I probably would not call either - the widow has a lot on her plate and will appreciate the card.

I've had many clients die over the years, although only 1 suicide, and no accidental deaths in 16 years. I would send a card, and make an appointment to review her policies. I would offer to help file claims on any life policies. You can pull claim forms for her if he had life policies. She'll need to change or at least review her current beneficiary forms. Could be possible IRA (if he had one) that needs to be rolled into her name. All kinds of things, but you need to do a Fact-Finder to get the details.

WOW spouse just died, let's do the salesman call. NOOOOOOOOOO. WARNING BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE. What you should do is be a human being & be kind and sympathetic to the loss they experienced.

They may need help filing claims. but offer to do reviews rollover IRA's, I would not do that. Why not go the funeral and hand out business cards. Tell people how short life is & they need to review.

Two years ago I lost 5 during Nov & Dec.

Some expected, others not.

Surprised the carrier notified you. That's one for them.

Most of the time the carrier notification consists of a lapse notice. By then it is a bit late to do anything.

I do all my business by phone and email, so my client relationships are different from those who work F2F.

Even still, I have some very loyal clients. For that I am thankful.

One death notice came to me via the clients daughter. She sent me a message on FB. I told her how to handle the cancellation and get a refund on a prepaid premium. Also sent a card to the widow and made a donation to the cancer society.

Another death was unexpected. Got an email from the widow asking what to do so I responded with explicit instructions along with my condolences. Also sent a card and made a donation to the hospital where her husband spent his last few days. The daughter had informed me of the request to send donations vs flowers.

I would not call, but that is just me. Definitely would not offer to review other policies, etc as that strikes me as opportunistic.

But again, that is me.

If the decedent or their family is a friend or relative that changes things. Showing up at the funeral is sure to get tongues wagging. "Who is the guy crying over the casket?".

"Oh him? He is just the insurance salesman." . . . .

If spouse if surviving I try to go to the visitation if it's nearby or else will send a card. All have appreciated it and takes very little time or money. You do get close to some of these clients after 20 years.

There is a world of difference between.

condolences, condolences, condolences, "Betty, that should take care of everything on Wayne's policy. Now, I want you to know I'm happy to help you with any other policies you have, please just let me know ok? He was an awesome guy and I know insurance can be confusing, so I'm here for you."

AND

"So Betty, go grab all of the policies, we need to review them. Also, where is the IRA, let's take a look and see what you should do with that."

Back