Loss of Student Coverage

Just got off the phone with a potential client who is an adult student (i.e. ~40). She is presently on student coverage that expires late August. She doesn't wish to sign up for Student Coverage in Sept as you have to pay for coverage in a lump sum which doesn't work with her finances.

I assumed that the termination of her student coverage in August would be a QLE. I called the Colorado exchange and they stated it would only be a QLE if the student coverage was considered "Minimum Essential Coverage". Although I don't actually know, I'm suspicious that the present coverage is not MEC, although that could be incorrect as it's expensive enough. I've also found some article talking about self funded student plans, etc but I'm frustrated enough not to be able to decode it. Hence I turn to my enlightened insurance forum members....

Has anyone encountered a similar situation before and have some experience in dealing with this? Thanks.

Chris

Yep, exact situation just yesterday. Called the school and asked if it was MEC. It is, creates SEP in August. They said they will send a letter with dates of coverage for substantiation.

Back