Lost Progressive Snapshot Discount

cseng214

I purchased a 6-month paid-in-full policy from Progressive and signed up for Snapshot. I completed the program and received a $57 refund, too. I then received a notice that it was time to send the device back. Cool.

Five and a half months into the policy, I have to move to another state. I call to inform Progressive of this, and apparently the procedure is to cancel your existing policy and begin a new one. Which would also be cool, but my Snapshot discount did not transfer, which I did not realize at the time. I called back this evening to get it cleared up, but I was told that I would have to repeat the program (connect device and be monitored again for six months) and only at the end of that period might I get the credit back to my account.

I wouldn't mind doing this (I'm going to drive a lot fewer miles in my new location, so it might work out best in the long run), but I'd really just like the discount now.

My question is: what is the likelihood of me pushing to get the Snapshot discount transfered? When I called the last time I only talked to a base-level customer service rep; she obviously had no power to do anything for me. But before I spend more time on the phone, I'd at least like to know that there's a chance that I'll succeed. Similar experiences, anyone?

Thanks!

sorry, but the Snapshot discount doesn't transfer from state to state. but like you said, it might work out best in the long run... that is especially true since you will be driving a lot less miles.

However, that should be the least of your concerns. the difference in premium from one state to another is probably far more significant than $57.

yes, it sucks that you have to wait six months for a discount you've already earned. but you'll be reimbursed at the end, and likely for more.

it really depends on which state you're moving from and which state you're moving to. your premium could go way up, way down, or stay about the same.

also, if you're moving from a big city to a small town (or vice versa), that will likely have a bigger impact than $57 as well.

if you haven't yet received a quote in your new state, let me know which states you're moving from/to. and I can give you a pretty good idea of which direction your premium is going to move.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Dan!

I moved from Milwaukee, WI (downtown) to Glen Allen, VA (suburbs). The rate increase was about $100. Interestingly, the new policy that I would have signed for Milwaukee (had I not moved) was also about $80 more expensive.

Also, one thing I didn't mention about the first policy in Milwaukee was that I believe I got an initial discount just for signing up for Snapshot. I got another discount additional to the startup one in the amount of $57 at the end of the Snapshot program. By that logic, if I were to sign up and complete Snapshot in my new location, I'd hope to get a refund that is the sum of those discounts, give or take my new location driving habits.

Looks like I'll be going through the Snapshot rigmarole again. No big deal, really :)

Back