Louisiana's New Rules About LTCi Premium Increases

Mr_Ed

Guru
1000 Post Club
NJ
To help stabilize long-term care insurance premiums and help prevent long-term care insurance rate increases, Louisiana has enacted strict regulations. Recent evidence shows that the regulations are working very well to reduce the frequency and size of long-term care insurance rate increases.

To understand why these regulations are working, we must also understand why the old regulations did NOT work.

Profit Incentive:
Under the old rules: if a rate increase was requested, the insurers could price normal profit levels into the rate increase. In many cases, a rate increase could result in increased profits for the insurance company.
Under the new rules: if an insurance company requests a rate increase, they must first decrease the profit levels in their initial pricing to a cap that is pre-determined by the regulation. Secondly, they cannot price normal profit levels into the rate increase. Essentially, these new regulations have removed the insurance company’s profit incentive.

Margin for error:
Under the old rules: the insurance companies were NOT allowed to include in their pricing any margin for error. There was no cushion priced into the policy if claims were to exceed projections.
Under the new rules: every insurance company is REQUIRED to include a "cushion" in their pricing. To try to avoid needing any future rate increases they must include a "margin for error" just in case their pricing assumptions turn out to be wrong.

Actuarial certification:
Under the old rules: the insurance companies did NOT have to certify the accuracy of their pricing assumptions. If their assumptions turned out to be wrong, then they would just request a rate increase.
Under the new rules: the insurance companies are required to have a qualified actuary certify that no premium increases are anticipated over the life of the policy. Because of the "margin for error" that is now required to be priced into the policy, the actuary is certifying that the “margin for error” is sufficient enough so that no premium increases are anticipated.

Caps on rate increases:
Under the old rules: there was no cap on the rate increases and it was very easy to get a rate increase. Premiums were tied directly to projected claims. If claims projections increased, then premiums could be increased. It was that simple.
Under the new rules: If a rate increase is requested and approved, the insurer has to have an "annual review" with the regulators, for up to 5 years, to make sure the rate increase was justified and that it was not too high. If the rate increase turns out to have been too high, the insurer has to amend the rate increase. Also, the new rules put a cap on the amount of a rate increase. The insurer is not allowed to have a rate increase that would force current policyholders to pay premiums that are higher than the premiums being offered to new applicants.

Here's 2 questions for you Scott:

In spite of Louisiana's new rules, I believe that every state's DOI mandates minimum Reserves required by LTC carriers.

So, if due to poor actuarial assumptions a carrier finds their Reserves below the state's mandated minimums, doesn't the DOI have to allow a rate increase to at least replenish the Reserves back up to the minimums?

And,

Genworth has gone on record of stating that if a state does not allow their rate increase request, they will no longer sell any product in that state. To date I believe there are 2 or 3 states that Genworth pulled out of. (They may have reversed their decision in those states)

Who wins in that scenario?

Our current Commissioner is probably one of the few in Louisiana to not end up in prison for one reason or another.

You have to understand the politics here. He came in as the "clean it all up" and "on the consumer's side" candidate. "No more good-old boy politics" etc. etc.

Sometimes regulations intended to help the consumer end up screwing the consumer. A few years back the Commissioner at the time tried to regulate title insurance companies with a few tweaks. The result was that most of the big title insurance carriers shut down operations in Louisiana. That got everyone's attention. Title examination is bad enough here with forced heirship and a lot of other screwy laws.

So, indeed "Who wins" in these scenarios.

originally posted by Charpress

Thanks for your insight.

Did you leave a word out of your first sentence in error, or on purpose?

Our current Commissioner is probably one of the few in Louisiana to not YET end up in prison for one reason or another.

Our current Commissioner is probably one of the few in Louisiana to not end up in prison for one reason or another.

You have to understand the politics here. He came in as the "clean it all up" and "on the consumer's side" candidate. "No more good-old boy politics" etc. etc.

Sometimes regulations intended to help the consumer end up screwing the consumer. A few years back the Commissioner at the time tried to regulate title insurance companies with a few tweaks. The result was that most of the big title insurance carriers shut down operations in Louisiana. That got everyone's attention. Title examination is bad enough here with forced heirship and a lot of other screwy laws.

So, indeed "Who wins" in these scenarios.

so you think that these regulations designed to keep LTCi premiums stable will end up being bad for the consumer? what is it about these regulations that you think will be bad for the consumer? wouldn't stable LTCi rates be a good thing?

originally posted by Mr_Ed

so you think that these regulations designed to keep LTCi premiums stable will end up being bad for the consumer? what is it about these regulations that you think will be bad for the consumer? wouldn't stable LTCi rates be a good thing?

Didn't you ever learn not to answer a question with a question?

Why not re-read my post and get back to me.

originally posted by Mr_Ed

Didn't you ever learn not to answer a question with a question?

Why not re-read my post and get back to me.

my question was replying to Charpess who didn't seem to have any response to these rules other than that rules that "protect consumers" may "harm consumers". I'm waiting for him to explain how these rules can be bad for consumers.

to answer your question, arthur, these rules I speak of have been in effect in Louisiana for 10 years and have resulted in a decrease in LTCi rate increases and not a single insurance company leaving the state.

Last edited:
Did you leave a word out of your first sentence in error, or on purpose?

Our current Commissioner is probably one of the few in Louisiana to not YET end up in prison for one reason or another.

Hah. Yes, you might be right.

As for responding to the rules line-by-line as Mr Ed seems to want -no thanks. Too academic for my taste and really something for the politicians and the companies to hash out.

I'm sure it will work out fine just like rent control works out fine. Good for the consumer.

Hah. Yes, you might be right.

As for responding to the rules line-by-line as Mr Ed seems to want -no thanks. Too academic for my taste and really something for the politicians and the companies to hash out.

I'm sure it will work out fine just like rent control works out fine. Good for the consumer.

Well, you've been misrepresenting LTC insurance to consumers. You may want to brush up on the regulations so that you don't continue to make false statements about LTCi to consumers.

:)

Back