LTC for Person on SSI-Tough Case

jcc

Any good options? I have a 55 yo brother who has been on SSI for years (if not essentially his entire adult life). He has mental health issues, essentially an adult with the mentality and abilities to handle responsibility of a 10 yo child. He can't remember his "diagnosis" and no one in the family can. He has been on SSI for so many years, and when he first got on the little I got is that the testing that qualified him identified some issues, but not a formal known ailment. I can't get details...I believe he genuinely doesn't know. Best described as borderline retarded...but not really, because in some areas he exhibits quite a bit of intelligence. Again...a true child in an adult body.

Falls through all the cracks, can't hold a job (and if he had one the system set up by the Gov't would penalize him for it in the infinite wisdom of government) and of course SSI benefits are not even enough to live (about $10000 a month total income.

He has arthritis and I believe recently had a very, very mild stroke or some other unexplained dizziness. Point is, not great health, though he is a non-smoker and average weight/height. Never could drive, but is presently fully mobile. He is not classified by the courts as incompetent, and too intelligent to let that happen, nor would I want to be his legal guardian since it is too hard to control him (not that he does anything bad, but let's just say there could be financial risk if someone else were responsible)

As he get's older I'm concerned about what can be done to take care of him.

Are there any LTC options (or other things out there) that I could purchase for him? I've asked a local broker and they said there is NOTHING out there...basically I'll have to take care of him or he is screwed.

But if something happens to me, or we can't afford the expenses...than what? Seems like LTC would be the way to go, but I'm afraid it won't be an option. Thoughts?

Any good options? I have a 55 yo brother who has been on SSI for years (if not essentially his entire adult life). He has mental health issues, essentially an adult with the mentality and abilities to handle responsibility of a 10 yo child. He can't remember his "diagnosis" and no one in the family can. He has been on SSI for so many years, and when he first got on the little I got is that the testing that qualified him identified some issues, but not a formal known ailment. I can't get details...I believe he genuinely doesn't know. Best described as borderline retarded...but not really, because in some areas he exhibits quite a bit of intelligence. Again...a true child in an adult body.

Falls through all the cracks, can't hold a job (and if he had one the system set up by the Gov't would penalize him for it in the infinite wisdom of government) and of course SSI benefits are not even enough to live (about $10000 a month total income.

He has arthritis and I believe recently had a very, very mild stroke or some other unexplained dizziness. Point is, not great health, though he is a non-smoker and average weight/height. Never could drive, but is presently fully mobile. He is not classified by the courts as incompetent, and too intelligent to let that happen, nor would I want to be his legal guardian since it is too hard to control him (not that he does anything bad, but let's just say there could be financial risk if someone else were responsible)

Are there any LTC options (or other things out there) that I could purchase for him? I've asked a local broker and they said there is NOTHING out there...basically I'll have to take care of him or he is screwed.

But if something happens to me, or we can't afford the expenses...than what? Seems like LTC would be the way to go, but I'm afraid it won't be an option. Thoughts?

Medicaid will pay for his long-term care expenses.
You don't have to worry about it

As Scott has said, your brother will be covered by Medicaid. Unfortunately no other options.

That's good to know...but what I'd really like to find if there is anything that will cover "custodial care". In fact, that would be nice to have in general. It seems like the expenses of custodial care, when someone wants to (and is physically able) to stay at home can quickly get out of control. Are there any options for that, or again no?

Thanks so much!

That's good to know...but what I'd really like to find if there is anything that will cover "custodial care". In fact, that would be nice to have in general. It seems like the expenses of custodial care, when someone wants to (and is physically able) to stay at home can quickly get out of control. Are there any options for that, or again no?

Thanks so much!

Medicaid pays for custodial care.

He has no other options besides Medicaid.

There is no insurance policy that he can purchase.

Are there any options for that, or again no?

Here is why everyone is saying there are no other options; this is not an insurable risk. The situation as you've explained it is along the lines of trying to buy a homeowners policy after your home has burnt to the ground or life insurance on someone when you're at their funeral. LTC is has tough underwriting and even ignoring the mental fitness, "He has arthritis and I believe recently had a very, very mild stroke or some other unexplained dizziness" is a big deal.

http://www.resourcebrokerage.com/pdfs/ltci/underwriting/john_hancock.pdf

Stroke (CVA): Occurs when the blood supply to any part of the brain is interrupted, resulting
in the death and loss of brain function and tissue Decline

Back