LTD Benefits and Medical Coverage

ASO Wonk

I ran across a group that allowed employees to stay on the medical plan indefinitely after qualifying for LTD benefits. Seems this would interfere with their COBRA benefits and a transition to SSI and Medicare where appropriate.
Any opinions? Thanks.

I ran across a group that allowed employees to stay on the medical plan indefinitely after qualifying for LTD benefits. Seems this would interfere with their COBRA benefits and a transition to SSI and Medicare where appropriate.
Any opinions? Thanks.

It would not.

SSDI / Medicare can still be applied for. If qualified for SSDI, most group LTD polices offset the SSDI income anyway. Don't quote me, but I believe after being on SSDI for 12 months, you are eligible for Medicare (I may be off on the qualifying period). I have a group with a spouse on SSDI / Medicare (age 45), the group medical plan is the secondary coverage.

P.S. the fact that this spouse is using her prescriptions to gain access to drugs she then turns around and sells on the street illegally, and in effect, torpedos the rates for the otherwise healthy small group is a different story.

Last edited:
Back