Lunch and Learn Ideas

bedlamins

I never post but always check this board like many others and I had a question and need feedback from the veterans of this board.

I have been asked to do a lunch and learn type presentation to a local trade group comprised of small business owners of various stripes. It is a very nice opportunity but I only have an hour, an hour and a half at best, to speak with them. In a previous endeavor, I did tons of seminars like this but this is my maiden voyage tackling the small group topic as I mostly have done IFP.

If you were in my shoes and based on the questions or concerns you hear the most from your groups, what would your topic and/or focus be.

Thanks.

How well versed are you in small group and Obamacare?

If you don't think you're an expert.......stay away from the shark infested waters.

I don't do group, and only do IFP. If I were presented with that opportunity, and most of the businesses were under 50 employees, I would either team up with a small group expert, or I would talk all day long about dropping the small group plan, and sending all of the employees to the exchange (unless they are high income employee type businesses)

Otherwise, I would talk about converting to HSA plans.

Don't try to fill 90 minutes with talk. Encourage dialogue and questions.

Steer discussion toward topics where you have knowledge and are comfortable.

If you don't know small group don't try to come across as an expert.

I know enough about small group to take on this group. I'm friendly with about half of them. They will want some meat on the bone but not want to get lost in the forest. I was leaning towards tackling the HRA arrangement under the auspices of a strategy that some small businesses are using without me necessarily endorsing it.

I know enough about small group to take on this group. I'm friendly with about half of them. They will want some meat on the bone but not want to get lost in the forest. I was leaning towards tackling the HRA arrangement under the auspices of a strategy that some small businesses are using without me necessarily endorsing it.

I wouldn't talk about HRA's until things are settled with HHS
http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...-forum/updates-zane-health-reform-t54564.html

Try and come up with a case study. Nothing get interest like a real live example of where you went into a small business and either improved their coverage, service or saved them money.

How about discussing that the new plans, both individual and small group are going to be costing the end user more out of pocket. A way they can help offset this is to provide access to hospital only, and accident plans. These can either be employer or employee paid.

Show them enough that sets you apart and then let them know that each situation is different. You need to use this to show value and then set up appointments with each owner independently to audit their situation. Stress no cost, no obligation...Don't you want to make sure your business isn't leaving thousands of dollars on the table each year when it comes to employee benefits? Something like that. Those with much sense will bite. Follow up with each of them. you'll be so busy you don't know what to do. Just don't be the guy who comes and makes a presentation and that's it. You have to make an impact and follow through. You will do great if you do.

Best of luck. If you need any other ideas or want to talk about what I have done, pm me and we can talk.

In your opinion, will this settle as an all or nothing deal? Either they can buy in the exchange or they can not. Is there a middle ground, whereby they can buy in the exchange, get the GI privileges, but not the subsidy if using tax free HRA dollars?

Thanks for the sound advice. There are several options to go with. I'm not going to do a primer on ACA as the audience will immediately start playing with their cell phones when that begins. Real world case studies is definitely the starting point.

Back