MA...an expensive boondoggle?

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think MA will be around through 2010. At that point, changes could start happening, but there will always be some type of MA.

Even if it's just inner-city HMOs.

This is what can happen when companies license thousands of new agents who only sell MA/MAPD whether necessary or not.

These should be preserved for those who cannot qualify (either financially or medically) for standard Supps. Not just sold to everyone who wants a zero premium plan.

Well Dave....I like your solution. Sort of a needs testing required to weed out the financially able. I know several who just scour these MA's for best benefits available every year, like the eyeglasses for $200 reimbursement, or the free gym membership, or $20/mo allotment for HBA's (health and beauty aids).

SAI...we think alike. that was my first instinct...good....we'll recover those ma clients for the Real insurance side.

I do not see MA plans going anywhere in the major metropolitan markets since most of the plans sold there are HMO/PPO based products.

From what I have seen there has been more acceptance of PFFS plans from rural county doctors.

Setting income limits to qualify for MA plans? That would set the stage for disaster. I am sorry Mr Jones, I know that you cannot afford you supplement but the federal government thinks that you can, therefor you cannot have a MA plan.

The most interference I would want from the government would be a comparison grid that a client would have to sign off on, like on page 31 (I think) of the Medicare and You book where they can see their options.

I do not see MA plans going anywhere in the major metropolitan markets since most of the plans sold there are HMO/PPO based products.

From what I have seen there has been more acceptance of PFFS plans from rural county doctors.

Setting income limits to qualify for MA plans? That would set the stage for disaster. I am sorry Mr Jones, I know that you cannot afford you supplement but the federal government thinks that you can, therefor you cannot have a MA plan.

The most interference I would want from the government would be a comparison grid that a client would have to sign off on, like on page 31 (I think) of the Medicare and You book where they can see their options.

The future of MA plans will be determined by the level of reimbursement to carriers, not by the purchasing power of consumers. If the feds cut the reimbursement level because the plans are not showing any savings then the whole pricing and benefit picture changes. Keep in mind that the Democrats are still gunning bigtime to find the dollars to keep from cutting the medicare reimbursement to doctors. The PFFS plans will take a major hit but the whole MA financing picture is up for reconsideration.

Winter

However, MA plans were in place long before Part D and the Medicare Modernization Act.

If funding does go down, that just means that co-pays and premiums will go back up. I do not see funding going away since AARP is now in the mix and if you want seniors vote, you better go along with AARP.

Back