MA and Standalone PDP?

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
Could someone give me a reminder here. I am thinking you cannot have an MA and a standalone PDP but need to have someone set me straight.

Thanks.

Could someone give me a reminder here. I am thinking you cannot have an MA and a standalone PDP but need to have someone set me straight.

Thanks.

You cannot have an MA PPO or HMO with a stand alone PDP. You can have a stand alone PFFS and a stand alone PDP.

What causes the confusion in many cases is that some companies offer HMO and PPO plans that are MA only. As noted above, you cannot have Part D coverage if you enroll in one of those plans.

MA only HMO and PPO plans are designed for VA beneficiaries who want to continue to get their Rx filled at the VA and generally want a low cost option to use if they need to see a civilian doctor or go to a civilian hospital.

Sorry, I am a bit confused:

MA Only - Not allowed to have a stand alone Part D?
MAPD - Obviously Part D is included, so no need for a stand alone Part D andd obviously not allowed.

MA Only plans are necissarly designed for Veterans, but maybe where the Part D coverage doesn't make sense to include

MAPD - Obviously Part D is included, so no need for a stand alone Part D andd obviously not allowed.

MA Only plans are necissarly designed for Veterans, but maybe where the Part D coverage doesn't make sense to include

There are MA only plans. There are PPO MA only. You cannot have a Part D with that plan If you get RX from the VA, that is fine, but, you cannot have a Medicare PDP with it. Same for MA only HMO plans.

For the stand alone PFFS MA plans. A person can have a stand alone PDP if they want. They are not required to have a PDP, it's their choice.

On an MAPD, whether it's PPO, HMO or PFFS, it has a PDP included and you cannot have another one, except for VA.

MA only + stand alone PDP is ok if PFFS (and usually necessary to avoid being subject to the late enrollment penalty.) Otherwise, no.

Latest posts

Back