MA Disenrollment Back to Original Medicare

BuckNasty

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Question for the brain trust here. I don't write any Medicare Advantage and am unclear about something. I have a client who was new to Medicare on December 1, 2016 so she is still in her Initial Enrollment window. She enrolled in a MA plan and now wants out. She called Medicare and Medicare told her that if she enrolls in a Part D plan she will be automatically disenrolled from the MA plan.

So, I ran the drug comparison for her on Medicare.gov and the recommended plan is with Humana...the same company she has her MA plan with. So if she does the enrollment right through the Medicare site, when will the effective date be? I don't want there to be any coverage gaps.

Obviously I would want her supplemental plan to start right when the MA plan ends as well.

Last edited:
He Used his Initial Enrollment window, However he can use annual Disenrollment period till Feb 14th and he has his trial period rights for the first 12 months to enroll in PDP go back to OG Medicare

He Used his Initial Enrollment window, However he can use annual Disenrollment period till Feb 14th and he has his trial period rights for the first 12 months to enroll in PDP go back to OG Medicare

Thanks Vic...I'm clear on the enrollment options just not the timing. For example does the PDP enrollment IMMEDIATELY terminate the MAPD? Because I need to make sure the med supp starts at the same time so she isn't without coverege.

Thanks Vic...I'm clear on the enrollment options just not the timing. For example does the PDP enrollment IMMEDIATELY terminate the MAPD? Because I need to make sure the med supp starts at the same time so she isn't without coverege.

The disenrollment of the MADP will take place a minute before the effective date of the PDP. For example, 12:00 midnight on 1/31/2017 and 12:01 on 2/1/2017.

The disenrollment of the MADP will take place a minute before the effective date of the PDP. For example, 12:00 midnight on 1/31/2017 and 12:01 on 2/1/2017.

So if someone enrolled in a pdp today online at medicare.gov, would the scenario you outlined happen tomorrow? There is no "pick a date to start" when doing a pdp enrollment on med.gov. I'm concerned about not knowing when to start the med supp so there isn't a coverage gap.

So if someone enrolled in a pdp today online at medicare.gov, would the scenario you outlined happen tomorrow? There is no "pick a date to start" when doing a pdp enrollment on med.gov. I'm concerned about not knowing when to start the med supp so there isn't a coverage gap.

It's always the 1st of the month, if you apply today it will be Feb 1st

It's always the 1st of the month, if you apply today it will be Feb 1st

Thank you...that's what I was needing to know.

----------

Do you have a Medigap carrier that pays full commission in a trial right situation?

No I don't. But being that the person is still in their initial enrollment window by virtue of going on Medicare Part B in December, are you certain that this is a "trial right" scenario as it pertains to a Med supp and hence the reduced comp?

Thank you...that's what I was needing to know.

----------

No I don't. But being that the person is still in their initial enrollment window by virtue of going on Medicare Part B in December, are you certain that this is a "trial right" scenario as it pertains to a Med supp and hence the reduced comp?

You can also have the Med Supp underwritten when using Trial Right so you get full commission.

Back