MA enrollment

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
Given the fact that the enrollment period is so short and you have to hit the ground running, how is that actually done by successful agents? Do you get a list of leads and just start working them hard when the period begins, or do you just start dialing away, or do you start following up on leads that you have developed throughout the year while doing other business. What are the approaches for going from zero activity to full force when the switch is flipped. Whats the frame of mind and strategy for approaching this period.

Thanks.

Winter

I am following up on people I have talked to throughout the year. I might buy a couple set of leads too. I have atleast 50 people to follow up with already.

What would a set of leads be in this case. Are we talking about a list of people over 65 or a more medicare-specific list of leads (people who have requested info or a quote).

The 50 that you are following up on- are those mostly folks that you had previously had med supp discussions with?

Winter

Those 50 are people that mailed in leads to me over the year that currently have a crappy MA plan. Plus some are referrals and some are people on under 65 disability. All of them do already have a MA plan. I do not switch people from a supp to a MA unless they are dropping thier supp because they cannot afford one anymore and cannot qualify health wise.

I will probably order Todays Options leads because they seem to have th ebest Ratio of response and closing. ( direct mail leads )

Those 50 are people that mailed in leads to me over the year that currently have a crappy MA plan. Plus some are referrals and some are people on under 65 disability. All of them do already have a MA plan. I do not switch people from a supp to a MA unless they are dropping thier supp because they cannot afford one anymore and cannot qualify health wise.

I will probably order Todays Options leads because they seem to have th ebest Ratio of response and closing. ( direct mail leads )

What is the biggest reason for not switching from med supp to MA? Do clients end out with more out of pocket with the MA than with med supp?
And, is this true of all MA's or just crappy ones.

Winter

I personally don't think the PFFS plans will be competitve very much longer and there is too much uncertainty. There is less out of pocket with a med supp. Much less. But they cost more.

The problem with working the MA market is that you are going up against captive agents.

Why that is a problem is that the carriers are doing all they can for their captive sales force. They are doing mailers, telemarketing, setting up seminars, hosting events, etc for their own.

Granted, this applies more in the metro markets. The rural communities use a broker force, but I am going with what I know since I serve a metro area.

I can tell you what some of the carriers are doing now with their captive agents is going through past leads and contacts to make a target list this up coming AEP.

It is not really the product, it is the heavy marketing.

They have mass mailing, telemarketers, seminars, commercials, etc waiting for Oct 1 to hit. They stand a far better chance of getting in the home then an individual agent.

Have you seen the new prices for the 2008 MA's??
Some of them are within a couple of $$$ of the Med Supp D plan...which would you want your clients on....Right Frank!!
There are the $0 still out there. But the co-pay's have really shot up. ONe 3 day stay in the hospital with co-pays are more than a years worth of the higher premium. It is going to get interesting this year. New companies from no where are showing up....Even Mega is getting into the act this year.

Back