MA Gap Plans

midwestbroker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Columbia, MO
I have some info from info from an carrier about gap plans for MA plans.

They cover the hospital co-pays that MA plans have.

They also feature riders:
A lump sum for hospital confinement
Skilled Nursing
Durable Medical Equiptment
Ambulance

From what I figure, if you added this with a $195 benefit per hospital stay (will cover up to 10 days) would add $20.52 per month.

Seems worth it to me.

Any thoughts?

Yep that is them.

I have never heard of them before.

AM Best has them as B+ rated with a negative outlook. Have you done anything with them?

I wrote lots of Medigap business with them in DE and MD from 2001-2004 and I have been pretty pleased with them. Normal rate increases, Excellent service for agents and insured, Financially good--not aware of the negative outlook you speak of. Still, I'm not sold on theses MA gap plans yet. I think it's a little overkill, although that may be because I am from the school of thought that says consumers should assume some of the risk for their health.

perfectchoice said:
I wrote lots of Medigap business with them in DE and MD from 2001-2004 and I have been pretty pleased with them. Normal rate increases, Excellent service for agents and insured, Financially good--not aware of the negative outlook you speak of. Still, I'm not sold on theses MA gap plans yet. I think it's a little overlook, although that may be because I am from the school of thought that says consumers should assume some of the risk for their health.

That is the idea of the Co Pays, while no or little premium the copays can easily add up to a greater amount then the cost of a Supplement. I like the idea basically, don't know about the amount the Federal Government gives to the Carriers, at 7,500 to 8,000 grand a year, yet I guess that is the average cost of the Federal Government per Medicare Enrollee.

I suppose if you're selling zero premium MA plans they would be useful.

perfectchoice said:
I wrote lots of Medigap business with them in DE and MD from 2001-2004 and I have been pretty pleased with them. Normal rate increases, Excellent service for agents and insured, Financially good--not aware of the negative outlook you speak of. Still, I'm not sold on theses MA gap plans yet. I think it's a little overkill, although that may be because I am from the school of thought that says consumers should assume some of the risk for their health.

I agree wtih you in the fact that people should assume some of their health costs.

However, if they are going to buy on of these plans I would rather it be from me. Not only for the comm stand point, but I could fully explain how the plans would tie together, and make sure that is what they want. A lot of folks are used to the plan F; they pay one premium and forget about the rest.

I am looking to have it in my back pocket, not push it. If they want it great. If not no big deal. At least they know their options.

What company will write a good Plan G or F for a 59 year old female in California on Medicare A/B/D for reason of disability? Will anyone write under age 64?

Thanks,
Al

Back