MA / MAPD Commission Payout

Thad.Sipple

Guru
1000 Post Club
Rocklin, CA
I have been out of the MA business for several years and curious how commissions are paid. 1. Is 1st year commission only for someone with no MA or MAPD in previous year? 2. If someone goes from XXXX MA or MAPD to YYYY MA or MAPD is the commission considered renewal commission or 1st year? (kinda same ? as above) 3. How are commissions paid? Lump sum or thru-out the year. ($215 divided by 12) 4. When is commission usually paid in January or February?

Last edited:
I have been out of the MA business for several years and curious how commissions are paid. 1. Is 1st year commission only for someone with no MA or MAPD in previous year? 2. If someone goes from XXXX MA or MAPD to YYYY MA or MAPD is the commission considered renewal commission or 1st year? (kinda same ? as above) 3. How are commissions paid? Lump sum or thru-out the year. ($215 divided by 12) 4. When is commission usually paid in January or February?

If they were already enrolled in a MAPD and you switch them to any other plan you only get the renewal.
You get a lump sum. Typically in 2 payments if they are new to Medicare.
If you talking about AEP it depends. Humana and UHC pay me about 2 weeks after I write it. Other companies pay in Jan and one in Feb

I thought UHC and HUMANA didn't pay for AEP until JAN.

So if you right an MA or MAPD in Oct. for 2017 you get paid in 2 weeks?

I thought UHC and HUMANA didn't pay for AEP until JAN. So if you right an MA or MAPD in Oct. for 2017 you get paid in 2 weeks?

Last AEP I got paid fast with them. CarePlus took forever tho. And Coventry paid me in advance for the whole year in January.

Last AEP I got paid fast with them. CarePlus took forever tho. And Coventry paid me in advance for the whole year in January.

Thanks for the reply, They do pay faster than others, but you had to wait until Jan to get paid by UHC and HUMANA right?

If I'm reading this right they advance you whether they are new to Medicare or not. I don't remember signing anything asking for advances because I usually do everything as earned for Health, life, & med supps. I'm new to med advantage.

I just checked my UHC and Humana Medicare commission statements-I was paid by UHC on the 1/1 statement date and on the 1/6 statement dateby Humana for a full year of my new AEP enrollments.

Aetna/Coventry paid me later in January for AEP enrollments, also for the full year.

Didn't CMS change the rule so AEP commissions can't be paid until the policy is active?

I just checked my UHC and Humana Medicare commission statements-I was paid by UHC on the 1/1 statement date and on the 1/6 statement dateby Humana for a full year of my new AEP enrollments.

Aetna/Coventry paid me later in January for AEP enrollments, also for the full year.

Didn't CMS change the rule so AEP commissions can't be paid until the policy is active?

That's my recollection. UHC will pay full commissions some times if you write one in June or July, but I didn't get that email this year.

Went back and checked my UHC and I did get paid for the MAPD biz in January.
I was paid a decent amount by UHC in November and December so I assumed it was that but I just realized I was writing a lot of med supps with them this past AEP. Hope that happens again this AEP

Back