Made the Leap From Captive to Independent

Aram Fingal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Well, it's official. Today was my last day with captive company (P&C). This was a very difficult decision that I thought about for a very long time. I enjoyed my time with the company and had one of the best managers a person could ask for. It's kind of a sad moment, but it's also exciting and a little bit scary as I once again move in to the realm of working entirely for myself.

Re: Made the Leap From Captive to Indipendent

Well, it's official. Today was my last day with captive company (P&C). This was a very difficult decision that I thought about for a very long time. I enjoyed my time with the company and had one of the best managers a person could ask for. It's kind of a sad moment, but it's also exciting and a little bit scary as I once again move in to the realm of working entirely for myself.

If you're going to be independent, you better learn to spell it.;)
Congrats on the move!

If you're going to be independent, you better learn to spell it.;)
Congrats on the move!

LOL, whoops. I was going to say "Indie" and decided to go with "Independent" after I had already started typing. Thus my attempt to sound more sophisticated backfired.

LOL, whoops. I was going to say "Indie" and decided to go with "Independent" after I had already started typing. Thus my attempt to sound more sophisticated backfired.

It'll take a little getting used to spelling independent, because you're used to spelling captive.:laugh:

Best of luck to you.

Congratulations! What a New Years resolution! I was a captive for 22 years and resigned 6 years ago. It was the riskiest and most difficult decision for me too. Its sad that the captive world has become so difficult.

My only regret was that I didn't jump ship sooner. It was a struggle at times, and 2008 was a lousy year for everyone, but all is good now.

Best to you.
Dave

Congratulations! Let me know how it goes, I'm still trying to muster up the courage to make the jump to independent myself.

Been there, done that. Was fortunate to have had a couple of OLD timers ( retired agents with over 40yrs each in the biz) pull me aside and go over my captive contract with me... they both told me to RUN. I only had about a year with the captive company, so it wasn't that hard to walk, er I mean RUN away from. 5yrs later and NO regrets.

Congrats! I did it on Oct 31,2013 after 10 months with a debit company in one of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. Signed with a broker in the business for over 40 yrs, he helped me understand my previous captive contract and explained what I should be getting on my commissions. Last few months have been a little rough, especially since I couldn't take any of my clients with me. But I have learned SOOOOO much more about the insurance business. Good Luck

Same, did it Oct 2013 and couldn't be happier. Reach out if you need any advice. Sure you'll do fine.

Good luck. I was first licensed 6/2009, went indie 6/2010 not yet knowing what I didn't know after one year, but determined. As a result struggled at first, but so good now. Worth the risk. Just keep pushing through the tough transitional period.

Back