MAGI Clarification for Self Employed

infoseeker

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just need clarification on figuring out MAGI . To keep it simple If i am self employed and make 100k in wages tips salaries or lets just say commissions from carriers make it more simple.

lets say i have a solo 401k i will contribute 25k and a IRA another $3000. I can deduct 50% self employment tax which could be about 5K just approximating, health insurance deduction another 5k

So if i am calculating correctly my MAGI should be about 62k 100k-33k

According to the labor center My MAGI deductions below

Deduct:
• Certain self-employed expenses*5 <Note> below
• Student loan interest deduction
• IRA deduction (traditional IRAs)
• Moving expenses
• Penalty on early withdrawal of savings
• Health savings account deduction
• Alimony paid
• Domestic production activities deduction
• Certain business expenses of reservists,

ADD CERTAIN INCOME:
• Non-taxable Social Security benefits4 (Line 20a minus 20b on a Form 1040)
• Tax-exempt interest (Line on 8b on a Form 1040)
• Foreign earned income & housing expenses for Americans living abroad (Form 2555)

***5 Deductible part of self-employment tax; SEP, SIMPLE, and qualified plans; health insurance deduction. Note that the IRS states that “if you purchase coverage in the individual Marketplace and claim the premium tax credit on your tax return, the amount of the premium reimbursed by the credit may not also be deductible.”

here is PDF for MAGI from Labor center

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/pdf/2013/MAGI_summary13.pdf

WHY O WHY are you trying to figure this out?

Are you a CPA? Financial Planner? CFP? CLU?

Punt. We sell insurance. Keeping up with ACA is enough. This is not our job. Tell them to look at last years line 37 and make the best guess for 2015. Tell them to check with their CPA or FP. You are setting yourself up for failure and angry clients.

Back