Male Age 69,Dekalb County Ga. Whats his Best Option?

jlata1

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Moneys not a problem. Whats the best bang for the buck in this county in Georgia? He is still working and retires soon and he has part a and took part b already.he just went threw radiation and had cancer so he needs a GI I assume.I've read if somebody takes part a and part b when they're working there not eligible to pick any med sup like a t 65 can if there health is bad. Someboy please quote some prices and options this person has. Thanks

Moneys not a problem. Whats the best bang for the buck in this county in Georgia? He is still working and retires soon and he has part a and took part b already.he just went threw radiation and had cancer so he needs a GI I assume.I've read if somebody takes part a and part b when they're working there not eligible to pick any med sup like a t 65 can if there health is bad. Someboy please quote some prices and options this person has. Thanks

Assuming he'll be losing group health insurance, he can get a Plans A, B, C, F, K or L on a GI basis. Rates and carriers for Plan F are as follows (just listing the top 3):

Manhattan Life - $156.08
Omaha Ins - $163.36
Companion Life - $165.93

Yes he'll lose his major med. So he screwed himself by taking plan b at age 65 while he was still working?Why would one take it? What are Aetna's rates for plan F for the person I gave the info for? And what are the commissions on GI with United of Omaha and Aetna/continental?Thanks

Your better options for a Medicare Supplement for Dekalb is either New Era or Equitable.

Equitable for Plan N is $125.09
Equitable for Plan F is $177.42

I'd go with Plan F if money is no object.

For non smokers in zip code 303, 309, 311

For zip codes 300

Pan N is $117
Plan F is $167

Last edited:
I'm thinking he'll want name brand company like moo are Aetna are blue cross. How much is Aetna/CLI for plan F in those zip codes? Doesn't Aetna have stable rate increases? Also do New era,aetna,MOO are equitable pay commissions on GI?Thanks

Your better options for a Medicare Supplement for Dekalb is either New Era or Equitable.

Equitable for Plan N is $125.09
Equitable for Plan F is $177.42

I'd go with Plan F if money is no object.

For non smokers in zip code 303, 309, 311

For zip codes 300

Pan N is $117
Plan F is $167

Considering he'll be a GI, Plan N isn't an option. So no, Equitable and New Era aren't the better options. And I think your Plan N rate for Equitable is incorrect. CSG has it at $122.50, not $125.09. Same for Plan F, CSG has it at $173.83, not $177.42 (using 30083 zip code).

----------

I'm thinking he'll want name brand company like moo are Aetna are blue cross. How much is Aetna/CLI for plan F in those zip codes? Doesn't Aetna have stable rate increases? Also do New era,aetna,MOO are equitable pay commissions on GI?Thanks

New Era pays a one-time $25 commission for GI business. Besides, they aren't the least expensive for Plan F.

Continental Life has been replaced with Aetna Health and Life. Their Plan F rate for this guy is $182.34. They pay 50% of first year commission on GI. Same for MoO.

Be very careful with who you take advice from. As you can see, some people are advising a plan that isn't even an option for your client. Take a look at the chart:

Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

Option 2 is where your client fits. As you can see, Plan N isn't an option.

Last edited:
So not a lot difference on Plan F between Moo and Aetna. If money not an issue has Aetna been a good med supp company? Is it true that aetnas rate increases have been stable?

So not a lot difference on Plan F between Moo and Aetna. If money not an issue has Aetna been a good med supp company? Is it true that aetnas rate increases have been stable?

Well my concern is that Aetna might be playing the "new carrier every few years" game. CLI has had 9.5% rate increase for each of the past two years. And anyone who has been in the Med Supp market for any length of time knows what has happened with MoO. However, they do appear to be doing things differently this time around. Only time will tell though. It was encouraging that MoO had a rate decrease on Plan G last year. Will be interesting to see what they do this summer.

The good news with your client is that hopefully his cancer is behind him now. If he stays cancer free for 2-5 years and has no other serious health issues, there will be a chance to possibly move him to another carrier if the one you choose gets a little crazy on the rates.

In my opinion, the carrier who has had the most stable rate history in Georgia for the last 5 years would have to be New Era. However, they aren't competitive in this situation and they won't pay you hardly anything for a GI.

Also, you mentioned in another post about him possibly wanting a "name brand company". Any time I come across a person like this I educate them on how ALL Med Supps work. Once I have explained it to them, I will usually say something like, "I see no reason to pay more for identical coverage, but if you want to I will certainly help you get enrolled". 99 times out of 100 they will choose whatever carrier I recommend. But occasionally I get that person who wants a Blue Cross or UHC (AARP branded Med Supp). More times than not, those people will come to me after a year or two and want to go with the lower cost plan.

my concern is that Aetna might be playing the "new carrier every few years" game.

You mean like MOO?

I have the same concern.

About both of those carriers.

But MOO has much more experience in that kind of thing.

Back