Manhattan (CUL) Adds netword to Dental, Hearing, Vision

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
Manhattan is adding the Careington Maximum Care PPO Dental Network to their DVH. Clients will still be allowed to sue any provider they choose and the plan will pay the same if they use a non Craiington provider or a Carrington provider. The only thing is the discount given by the Carrington provider my save the client even more. Sounds like a good thing for the client.

Maybe to compete with SureBridge.

I just saw an FMO comparison sheet and if I am correct in my choice of CUL from the anonymous competitor listings, SureBridge looks like more features in dental and less expensive pricing than CUL. One of the features listed for SureBridge was the Careington network. SureBridge does have limits in vision and hearing, which I presume helps them to have the lower premium.

Maybe to compete with SureBridge.

I just saw an FMO comparison sheet and if I am correct in my choice of CUL from the anonymous competitor listings, SureBridge looks like more features in dental and less expensive pricing than CUL. One of the features listed for SureBridge was the Careington network. SureBridge does have limits in vision and hearing, which I presume helps them to have the lower premium.
Lots of plans use the Careington Network. The extra vision and hearing benefits is one of the advantages of Manhattan. :yes:

Manhattan is good for someone who wants coverage but will be a low utilizer. If they need a robust dental benefit my go-to is UnitedHealthcare. You have to be appointed with UnitedHealthONE, but that's simple if you have the right FMO contact. The Senior dental plans have a built-in hearing aid benefit, dental annual max of 2000 and vision with $10 copay on exam and lenses with $150 frame allowance every year. For the under 65 plan, hearing is just a discount program but vision includes glasses AND contacts every year. Contacts and the fitting fee paid in full if you order contacts off their list. It's an awesome benefit for $10 a month. All that for $40-50 a month and it looks and feels like what people are used to so they like it.
Ameritas used to be my go to but then they stopped paying earned commissions. Well that's not what they say but I haven't been paid for the last 11 policies I wrote!

Manhattan is good for someone who wants coverage but will be a low utilizer. If they need a robust dental benefit my go-to is UnitedHealthcare. You have to be appointed with UnitedHealthONE, but that's simple if you have the right FMO contact. The Senior dental plans have a built-in hearing aid benefit, dental annual max of 2000 and vision with $10 copay on exam and lenses with $150 frame allowance every year. For the under 65 plan, hearing is just a discount program but vision includes glasses AND contacts every year. Contacts and the fitting fee paid in full if you order contacts off their list. It's an awesome benefit for $10 a month. All that for $40-50 a month and it looks and feels like what people are used to so they like it.
Ameritas used to be my go to but then they stopped paying earned commissions. Well that's not what they say but I haven't been paid for the last 11 policies I wrote!
:laugh: What do they pay on hearing? Deductible? %? Network? Waiting periods? There's a lot you didn't tell about this "robust" plan. :)

Not an agent.

I recently posted this in another thread, I've just hit one tricky thing in the UHC/GoldenRule dental.

I guess states have been passing laws that say dentists don't have to accept any network caps for services that the insurance carrier does not cover.

So UHC splits the mouth into (I think the right terms are) anterior and posterior teeth. So a dentist does a predetermination on three fillings for me. The eob comes back with a K96-UHC only pays for an amalgam filling on posterior teeth, if the dentist does resin there, the patient is liable for the full difference between UHC's allowed amount for amalgam and the dentist's charge for the resin. (plus your deductible if you have not paid that yet.) the old filling just popped out of one of those what were potential needs this spring. So I have a sorta pricey repair coming up.

It's doubly irritating because my old dentist that just retired took the UHC payments, no problem. Also interesting, I've called three dentists and I have a price range that varies by almost $40 for that one filling - i would not have expected that much.

But, as you say, preventive maintenance pays fine (except for flouride varnish).

I have not used the vision yet so that is becoming an expensive add-on. In my town, the UHC vision providers are limited, but there does happen to be one on the short list that I have been to and like. I do need a checkup, so maybe I'll try the benefit out this year. (I must have a slightly different plan than you are talking about because my vision is an extra charge every month. I think I may have an older-what would now be an under 65 plan-that is no longer available.)

I appreciate seeing your comments about UHC.

:laugh: What do they pay on hearing? Deductible? %? Network? Waiting periods? There's a lot you didn't tell about this "robust" plan. :)

Didn't know you wanted a quote and were you laughing at me with that emoji?!
If you want more than this email me and I'll send you a benefit summary
No waiting periods on any benefits (including major services), but benefits on basic and major reduced year 1 and 2. preventive paid at 100% day 1. $50 annual deductible on most plans, $100 on some.
The hearing benefit on the senior plans is an indemnity benefit that pays $75 towards hearing exam every 12 months and a building benefit for hearing aids that starts at $100 on day 1 up to $750 after year 3, plus the discount program that the carrier requires their commerical business to use because of how steep the discounts are. Not bad for a free hearing benefit and you don't take away from your dental annual max if you use it. Message me with what states you sell in and I can tell you the comp.

You're just saying that because you're both from Kansas. :yes:
:D

I didn't notice that until after I posted.

Back when I was doing all the question stuff about Dental, the particular UHC plan I have was what I thought was the best potential cost/benefit relationship I could come up with.

When I was looking, UHC had 6 plans in their folder. Now they only have 4, so I think they dropped the one I have. (Maybe my 7 fillings in one visit claim ran them over budget.)

Their "senior" plan also seems to be a moving target. A couple of months ago when I went to UHC dental plans to check, when I put in my birthdate, they showed a combination DVH plan. I had to put in an under 65 birthdate to see the matrix I was looking for. Given the discussions in the CUL thread, today I wanted to look at the characteristics of the senior plan and it doesn't show up. All I find is stuff about UHC buying a hearing network last year and now having a great setup for hearing treatment and discounted hearing aids.

Last edited:
Back