MAPD - after employer coverage

JJ2713

Guru
Coming off employer coverage...

You get an 8-month SEP for enrolling in Medicare.

You get the 6-month OEP for MedSupp , that starts When Part B starts.

For MAPD... during the ICEP, you only get 3 months that take place before Part B begins, which is odd.
So... someone would have to sign up for MAPD first, then Medicare?

What are the specifics of how that works?

I know they can enroll during AEP later. The question pertains to the initial enrollment into MAPD after employer coverage.

Maybe you mean for the drug coverage? If they have employer coverage they can get plans past the part b date.

Coming off employer coverage...

You get an 8-month SEP for enrolling in Medicare.

You get the 6-month OEP for MedSupp , that starts When Part B starts.

For MAPD... during the ICEP, you only get 3 months that take place before Part B begins, which is odd.
So... someone would have to sign up for MAPD first, then Medicare?

What are the specifics of how that works?

No mapd before Medicare...

Leaving EGHP: Assuming post T-65, for example, 68 yr old, took Part A @ 65, now 68 and retiring.

Step 1 - enroll in Part B (2 forms to fill out)
Step 2 - pick the mapd and enroll. Best to pick before retire date, but don’t wait longer than 2 months.

You need Part B to be able to enroll into MAPD. You’d use an SEP in this situation (not ICEP) - leaving employer group health plan.

I see it now

upload_2018-10-13_3-29-30.png

upload_2018-10-13_3-31-17.png

Still need clarification on the following, because the second image is what confused me,

It's ICEP... it says "creditable coverage" but it also says having Part A and delayed Part B... i assumed employer coverage as the creditable coverage, which it is... which is why I didn't understand

When you delay to keep employer coverage, are you delaying both Part A and B or just A?

I know you can just have Part A and delay Part B. Why would someone do this if not for employer coverage?

Also, if someone can answer this as well..

For Part D Drug Plan...

turning 65 = IEP (like for MAPD)
coming off employer coverage = SEP for 3 months from loss of coverage (like for MAPD)
AEP = can join a PDP

But what about if someone enrolls in Medicare during the GEP?
ICEP doesn't apply for PDP.
They have to wait until AEP?

When you come off an employer health plan that includes creditable drug coverage you have 63 days to enroll in a PDP.

When you delay to keep employer coverage, are you delaying both Part A and B or just A?

For most people, part A is premium free so usually it is suggested to enroll in this when you turn 65. A major exception to that is if you want to continue contributing to an HSA, then you delay part A enrollment.

Part B costs money. Part B enrollment also starts the clock ticking on the Med Sup enrollment period and the med sup also costs money. If a person is working for a large employer, the wiser choice is often to delay Part B enrollment. A person can also delay Part B enrollment by going on their spouse's plan if the spouse is working for a large employer.

If you watch the threads in the senior forum, you will sometimes see one about a client who took Part B when they turned 65 and continued working and now have a health problem.

Back