MAPD - after employer coverage

1st question - no, people enroll in A, delay B.

Why would some delay Part B if not covered by employer? Have you ever run into any cheapskates in your life - i.e., those who will drive 4 miles out of the way to save $.02 on gas? Or those who drink the cheapest coffee available even though it tastes horrible?

Well, they see "$134 for Medicare!!! I worked my whole life, I'm not paying for Part B if I don't have to - I'll be just fine...." So, they delay - they aren't the brightest crayons in the box.

(occasionally there are legitimate, "I didn't know" reasons, but for the most part, it's someone trying to pinch pennies)

I agree. What's the point of having A and not B. Either have employer coverage (no A and B), or have Medicare A and B.

Just a little confusing because the enrollment guides don't specify. The guides say "if delayed Part B, then...", but don't specify if the person also delayed A or has A.

So I wondered if someone would voluntarily have A and delay B.

I know if you stop paying B you lose it, and then you'll just have A. Then you have to sign up for B again during the GEP Jan 1 - March 31.

I agree. What's the point of having A and not B. Either have employer coverage (no A and B), or have Medicare A and B.

I'm not answeing this one, rather, I'd encourage you to think it through.

It will make full sense once you think it through rather than just ask.

Usually the reason to take A only is because it makes enrollment into Part B simpler later om and if their employer plan has a larger deductible than the Part A deductible then they could actually get some benefit from Part A.

The main reason to not take A is if they are on an HSA plan then taking Part A negates the ability to cintricont to an HSA.

For Part D initial enrollment...

Someone can enroll when they turn 65, come off employer coverage, and AEP (if they didn't enroll before).

But if someone enrolls in Medicare during the GEP, there's no way to get Part D until AEP? If they had to pay for Part A, then yes... but for premium-free Part A, it doesn't apply.

For MAPD, they can enroll Apr - June, but I don't see it for Part D.

Last edited:
try the second bullet under "When can I join ... (etc)... drug plan" ; page 74 of 2019 Medicare and You.

try the second bullet under "When can I join ... (etc)... drug plan" ; page 74 of 2019 Medicare and You.

Yup, it's in the Medicare and You book. Not in the enrollment period guides though. Perhaps I looked at the guides incorrectly.

I see your problem. The Medicare and You guide appears to contradict information in Chapter 3 of the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit Manual linked to in another thread.

Back