MAPD Contracting Question

jmarkk1

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anyone know if there is a way to go direct with a MAPD company if your FMO isn't licensed to sell in a particular state?

I'd like to offer AARP MA plans in NC. I'm licensed to offer their products in OH and IN. My FMO doesn't have license to sell in NC and so I'm unable to offer products there via my FMO.

Any advise?

Does anyone know if there is a way to go direct with a MAPD company if your FMO isn't licensed to sell in a particular state?

I'd like to offer AARP MA plans in NC. I'm licensed to offer their products in OH and IN. My FMO doesn't have license to sell in NC and so I'm unable to offer products there via my FMO.

Any advise?

Advice is to find a FMO that does have AARP in their bag and contract through them. There is no requirement to only have one FMO. As much as some people don't like AARP UnitedhealthCare, they are an important company to have because of name recognition and pretty strong networks for MAs. Also, the Med Supps having very liberal underwriting when that's needed.

Advice is to find a FMO that does have AARP in their bag and contract through them. There is no requirement to only have one FMO. As much as some people don't like AARP UnitedhealthCare, they are an important company to have because of name recognition and pretty strong networks for MAs. Also, the Med Supps having very liberal underwriting when that's needed.

My FMO does have AARP in the bag, but they are not able to sell in NC. So, it is possible to go with AARP FMO if they are in NC and still keep my current FMO contract? or would I have to get a release?

no release needed unless you are contracted with AARP for other states through that fmo... and your fmo doesn't have to be based in your home state. i only use 2 that are in nc for my nc products... aarp doesn't appoint direct

no release needed unless you are contracted with AARP for other states through that fmo... and your fmo doesn't have to be based in your home state. i only use 2 that are in nc for my nc products... aarp doesn't appoint direct

So how do I get contracted to sell AARP MA products in NC then?
What does your current FMO pay for MA products there?
also do you know of any other competetive MA's in the Charlotte area?

If your FMO isn't licensed in most if not all states, it's time to find another FMO. If your FMO doesn't know the answer to the question about whether or not you can sell the product if the FMO isn't licensed there, then it's time to find another FMO.

If your FMO isn't licensed in most if not all states, it's time to find another FMO. If your FMO doesn't know the answer to the question about whether or not you can sell the product if the FMO isn't licensed there, then it's time to find another FMO.

I understand, but I'm not able to get a release right now. My question about whether or not AARP will allow me to sell direct in NC or work with another FMO that is licensed there while working in OH is what I'm wanting to figure out. If not, then I'll just have to refer my clients to someone else that can help.

I do think that I can write some good business in NC, but the majority of my MAPD sales will be in OH.

You should be fine. Generally the override can get paid out as long as the upline wasn't involved in the sale, and worst case scenario the upline won't get paid, but you still will.

My guess is that your FMO isn't an FMO at all and that whoever is above them is the FMO and is actually licensed in most if not all states. Have you tried calling UHC and asking?

Back