Mapd Dissenrollment

usakr

Guru
100+ Post Club
Can a person dissenroll from an mapd and go back to original medicare any time of the year if its his first year in medicare or does he need a " valid reason"?

Can a person dissenroll from an mapd and go back to original medicare any time of the year if its his first year in medicare or does he need a " valid reason"?

Yes.

On the Replacement Form it asks you to explain the reason for disenrollment. For example: Doesn't like co-pays.

I would not advise a client to simply dis-enroll if they have a mapd.I would instead let the dis-enrollment happen by enrolling them in a pdp using sep-trial period which defaults them back to the original medicare.

Like yogoogle said, let the PDP cancel out the MAPD. If you don't sell one, help them get it. It can be done over the phone.

Also, don't write it up as GI if they can pass underwriting...that way you'll get paid.:yes:

You'll have to mention that it's being done under "Trial Right".

In my experience of using the 12 month trial period the Med Sup company at the very least wants a copy of the letter you are sending the MAPD to cancel that because they can't issue a Med Sup unless you are cancelling the MAPD. In some cases the Med Sup wants the actual disenrollment letter from the MAPD before they will issue it. I have always had client sign a letter to cancel their MAPD and I fax that along with the Med Sup application and then send it to MAPD. Obviously as was stated when you submit the PDP it will also take care of cancelling but I don't usually submit the PDP application until approved by Med Sup even though I know it's supposed to be G.I.

In my experience of using the 12 month trial period the Med Sup company at the very least wants a copy of the letter you are sending the MAPD to cancel that because they can't issue a Med Sup unless you are cancelling the MAPD. In some cases the Med Sup wants the actual disenrollment letter from the MAPD before they will issue it. I have always had client sign a letter to cancel their MAPD and I fax that along with the Med Sup application and then send it to MAPD. Obviously as was stated when you submit the PDP it will also take care of cancelling but I don't usually submit the PDP application until approved by Med Sup even though I know it's supposed to be G.I.

Sounds like an Issue I had once with equitable, Had me send a copy of the letter client sent to MA and they issued the policy, A week later they cancelled the policy saying they received a letter from the client to cancel her Supp,

I had to get a manager on the line and ultimately was corrected after refund and redraft.

Most Larger carriers though are good as long as they signed up for PDP it shows on medicare.gov, Equitable was the only one that wanted extra proof

Aren't we all assuming things based on what the OP said?

Can a person dissenroll from an mapd and go back to original medicare any time of the year if its his first year in medicare or does he need a " valid reason"?​

He doesn't state that the client dropped a Medigap when joining the MAPD so trial right may not apply. Now if the client is a standard age 65er then the SEP 65 is likely available which I would use to join a PDP to terminate the MAPD.

And there's no such thing as a "valid reason" -- there's only Zuul and election periods. With an election period you don't need no stinkin' reason.

Aren't we all assuming things based on what the OP said?

Can a person dissenroll from an mapd and go back to original medicare any time of the year if its his first year in medicare or does he need a " valid reason"?​

He doesn't state that the client dropped a Medigap when joining the MAPD so trial right may not apply. Now if the client is a standard age 65er then the SEP 65 is likely available which I would use to join a PDP to terminate the MAPD.

And there's no such thing as a "valid reason" -- there's only Zuul and election periods. With an election period you don't need no stinkin' reason.

If he took the MAPD when he got Part A and is in his 1st year, he also gets a Trial Right, so he should be covered either way.

He didn't want to enroll in anything. He just wanted to go back to original medicare because Joy from The View said" Why would I want to give up my Medicare when I worked so hard for it?"

Back