MAPD/MED SUPPS Grassroots Marketing

reggiejones32

I have been in the business a few years. mostly dealt with Direct mail but want to start a strong grassroots with medicare senior market. Know about food pantries, but what are some other ideas out there to suggest.

Thanks

Reggie

Join some kind of a club that interests you and get involved in it. But dont do it with the intention to grow your business, people will see right through that. Join because the club interests you, and the business will come naturally

I have been in the business a few years. mostly dealt with Direct mail but want to start a strong grassroots with medicare senior market. Know about food pantries, but what are some other ideas out there to suggest.

Thanks

Reggie

You could sit at a table in the Food Court with a cardboard sign that says, "Ask Me About Medicare". :)

Just kidding Bob.:laugh:

(caveat-not an agent-so this is theory, not experience.)

I live in a metropolitan area of 300,000 plus.

I believe our multiple location senior center organization is a significant presence. I do not have an understanding of specific limits that an insurance agent faces in doing insurance presentations to the senior community.

But, I think one possibility would be to work on getting clear on presentation limits and then talk with the senior center about helping them with their program schedule with some period medical insurance presentations for the senior community.

Another thing I have been mulling over in my head, it would be a service opportunity-I don't think I know the right (and allowable) ways to turn it into a business opportunity.

Our main senior center has a semi large room that is one of those sorta combined library, conference room, place where you can microwave a tv dinner type of thing.

Off that room are two small offices. Income tax volunteers use them in the spring for the volunteer income tax assistance program. It strikes me that someone that knows enough about PDP's to function independently (of having others around to ask about meaning of drugs, impact on plans, etc) and to convince the Sr Center management that this would be done for benefit of the seniors could set up in one of those rooms in the fall, even on a part time basis, and help folks look up drug plan info for the next year plans.

One possibility I could think of, if rules allowed it, is that there could be a supply of ballpoint pens or letter openers in the room that carried an insurance agent's name, insurance specialty and contact information. I don't this this would be allowed in a SHIP office. Don't know about the kind of situation I am suggesting here.

To add to what axeman462 said - finding a way to get involved in your local community is a great place to start. A few volunteer ideas are: social clubs (Elks, VFW or American Legion, for example), faith based organizations (church, etc.), and senior centers. Learning about what resources are available to seniors in your local community and building relationships with those locations will help you build credibility and trust.

Here are just a few ideas to toss around:

Professional partnerships (estate planning attorneys, P&C agents, etc.)
Health fairs
Senior living communities (volunteer there)
Civic groups (Chamber of commerce, etc.)

One of the best resources I had in the field was my local plan rep. Get to know them. Take them out for a cup of coffee. I had a lot of opportunities because I maintained a relationship with them. They may have speaking opportunities, marketing assistance, leads, etc. that come up from time to time.

Or take all that time that you would invest sitting around those places "hoping" business comes in (I have to be honest doing all of that sounds like a painful, slow death of a way to try to build business to me), and start learning internet marketing instead. That's where the puck is moving to. That way you're picking up valuable skills as well.

Just a thought, that is if you really want to grow your business.

So there are really 3 basic approaches to getting someone to talk to?

Buy names from someone, acquire names in people to people type activities or get names off the internet somehow?

Bevo makes a great point. There is a lot out there about Facebook marketing and other online ideas.

I would start with Facebook and look at boosting some posts.

Or take all that time that you would invest sitting around those places "hoping" business comes in (I have to be honest doing all of that sounds like a painful, slow death of a way to try to build business to me), and start learning internet marketing instead. That's where the puck is moving to. That way you're picking up valuable skills as well.

Just a thought, that is if you really want to grow your business.

It amazes me how much I've spent in time and money on my FB and my website and over the last year I've gotten exactly zero leads. I post daily to my FB and add blogs to my website.
I get maybe 3-5 people a day to my site but nothing

Back