MAPD Member Contacts During AEP

timeflies

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Wanted to get some advice as I gear up for AEP. I have around 300 MAPD members that are subject to the lock-in. The rest are LIS or have Medicaid so the AEP won't affect them. Do most agents call their book around October 1st to update them on any major changes to their plans, like premium increases, or Rx co pays/deductibles? I have heard some agents just send a letter saying there are very few changes and if they are interested in meeting and doing a review, they can get together. I have heard some agents do both. I have regular conversations with many of my members throughout the year, for example, I have started calling my members on their birthday as just another way to stay in touch and most appreciate it. When I made my AEP calls last year, some of them seemed annoyed like I was bothering them by calling, and based on the calls I had with members through out the year, I already know many of them that aren't satisfied with their current plan. So does it make sense to make those calls to current members or not and just send a letter instead?

Last edited:
Wanted to get some advice as I gear up for AEP. I have around 300 MAPD members that are subject to the lock-in. The rest are LIS or have Medicaid so the AEP won't affect them. Do most agents call their book around October 1st to update them on any major changes to their plans, like premium increases, or Rx co pays/deductibles? I have heard some agents just send a letter saying there are very few changes and if they are interested in meeting and doing a review, they can get together. I have heard some agents do both. I have regular conversations with many of my members throughout the year, for example, I have started calling my members on their birthday as just another way to stay in touch and most appreciate it. When I made my AEP calls last year, some of them seemed annoyed like I was bothering them by calling, and based on the calls I had with members through out the year, I already know many of them that aren't satisfied with their current plan. So does it make sense to make those calls to current members or not and just send a letter instead?

I think sending a letter out would be the best use of your time, so I would do that above all else.

You can also use Send Out Cards for any birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, or a simple, "Thank you for your business".

If you know that they are not happy with their current plan and you can do something better for them, I think that would certainly warrant a phone call after you send them a letter. Tell them in the letter to either call you or expect a call from you.

What Todd said but I will throw in something, you better send that letter or call your lis and dual clients as well. I'm sure you told them they can switch whenever but I guarantee you 90% of them still don't know.

I mail all of my clients, with a picture of me and it's 2 pages. First page is letting them know it's that time of year again, not to be complacent and to make sure to give me a call to schedule a time to sit down and go over their options.
The second page list the location, dates and times I will be in their area at Panera bread, Dunkin donut etc. I was surprised how many met up with me and saved me time and driving.

Unless there is an urgent reason to call them I wouldn't because you could be opening a can of worms, you will get request for you to visit them in person to go over the changes for next year even if there really isn't any and also if your clients are anything like mine 1 out of 4 will keep you on the phone for over an hour babbling about things that have nothing to do with why you called.Reach out and call them in lock in but mail in AEP.

I would reach out to them in September. This way you preempt other agents who might call.

You can't discuss the 2018 plans in September, but you can ask them about their doctors and meds. You can ask if they have any concerns.

You can suggest they ask their friends to call you. You can request a review on Facebook or some other social media site. (I always wait until they say something nice about me on the phone, so I'm more likely to get a good review.)

You could tell them you will call them if you find a better plan for them. Depending on how busy you expect to be during AEP, you might tell them to expect an email, not a phone call, if you think they should stay put.

Explain that you won't have all the 2018 information until October 1st, and that you will get in touch sometime in October.

I haven't tried this yet, but this is what I plan to do this year.

Last edited:
What Todd said but I will throw in something, you better send that letter or call your lis and dual clients as well. I'm sure you told them they can switch whenever but I guarantee you 90% of them still don't know.

I mail all of my clients, with a picture of me and it's 2 pages. First page is letting them know it's that time of year again, not to be complacent and to make sure to give me a call to schedule a time to sit down and go over their options.
The second page list the location, dates and times I will be in their area at Panera bread, Dunkin donut etc. I was surprised how many met up with me and saved me time and driving.

I really like the idea of providing a 'meetup' schedule in different areas, I am going to do that during AEP with the added 'kicker' of offering a $10 Walmart/Target/Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks gift card for anyone offering a referral to both my current client and the one who is referred to me.

Unless there is an urgent reason to call them I wouldn't because you could be opening a can of worms, you will get request for you to visit them in person to go over the changes for next year even if there really isn't any and also if your clients are anything like mine 1 out of 4 will keep you on the phone for over an hour babbling about things that have nothing to do with why you called.Reach out and call them in lock in but mail in AEP.

Learn how to better control the conversation. Keep them on track.

I would reach out to them in September. This way you preempt other agents who might call.

You can't discuss the 2018 plans in September, but you can ask them about their doctors and meds. You can ask if they have any concerns.

You can suggest they ask their friends to call you. You can request a review on Facebook or some other social media site. (I always wait until they say something nice about me on the phone, so I'm more likely to get a good review.)

You could tell them you will call them if you find a better plan for them. Depending on how busy you expect to be during AEP, you might tell them to expect an email, not a phone call, if you think they should stay put.

Explain that you won't have all the 2018 information until October 1st, and that you will get in touch sometime in October.

I haven't tried this yet, but this is what I plan to do this year.

Actually, I believe you can discuss before Oct 1st as long as you don't initiate the conversation. If the client asks and you have information on the 2018 plans and you have them in front of you, you have the green light. I understand your points as to what you can "encourage" and are good ones.

----------

Learn how to better control the conversation. Keep them on track.

NO Shizzz. That's like when you are in an in home and a client wants to go on and on about their physical therapy with their knee replacement. That's when you look at your watch and say, "sounds like you are going to be back on the course before Tiger, I am late to my next appointment. I better get going!"

Actually, I believe you can discuss before Oct 1st as long as you don't initiate the conversation. If the client asks and you have information on the 2018 plans and you have them in front of you, you have the green light. I understand your points as to what you can "encourage" and are good ones.

My understanding is you can help a client understand their ANOC if they received it during September. Otherwise you cannot discuss next year's plans until 10/1.

But there is no reason you can't touch base with your clients, preempt other agents getting in the house, and collect doc and drug information in September.

We schedule ANOC meetings with our existing clients. Serve water, coffee and cookies. They are set up like a class and we go through their ANOC books with them. We provide highlighters and pens so they can take notes and mark important page numbers (nurseline phone number, etc.). After the class, we invite anyone who would like to do a personal review of the other companies available to book an appointment. Very few do the follow up appointment, because we are really thorough explaining what they are getting in the first place and they are happy and see no need to change. Often, they will invite friends who have the same plan but had an agent who treated the sale like a "one and done" and we usually average picking up one client per meeting.

Latest posts

Back