MAPD Moving from Service Area

jeffdcar

Expert
When you move to new county how many days do you have to be GI for a different MAPD or supp? I think it is 63 days? Also, does the old MAPD have to cover you during that time or do they they drop you the day you move?

When you move to new county how many days do you have to be GI for a different MAPD or supp? I think it is 63 days? Also, does the old MAPD have to cover you during that time or do they they drop you the day you move?
Two months. Up to 62 days depending on the months.

thanks! do you know if they are still covered by the old MAPD during those 62 days at their new address?

They usually disenroll the client at the end of the month they move. Make sure you fill out a new application for a different MA plan or Med Sup so they have the coverage at the end of the month. I usually try to do this before they move.

They can change the month of their move, or up to 2 months after. I give them the option, but recommend they change as soon as they are able. Or, even better, put them in a Med Supp, GI.

Sorry, let me be a little more clear. Client is moving out of a Kaiser MAPD plan service area on Nov 1st. I understand I can enroll them into a MAPD or supp GI right now or w/in 62 days of Nov 1st. For many different reasons client wishes to stay on the Kaiser MAPD till Dec 31st. So my question is, will the client still be covered under the Kaiser MAPD plan during Nov and Dec? Thanks!

Sorry, let me be a little more clear. Client is moving out of a Kaiser MAPD plan service area on Nov 1st. I understand I can enroll them into a MAPD or supp GI right now or w/in 62 days of Nov 1st. For many different reasons client wishes to stay on the Kaiser MAPD till Dec 31st. So my question is, will the client still be covered under the Kaiser MAPD plan during Nov and Dec? Thanks!

If the move is reported to Kaiser in November with the client telling Kaiser that they have already moved (as opposed to a future move date) then Kaiser should end the plan 11/30/14. If the move is reported to SSA/CMS, Kaiser will be notified and that could start the disenrollment process as well. Provider network issues also come into play.

Back