MAPD PPO vs Medigap?

Mapd plans work just as well (unwell?) as a pdp Plan. In fact, in my state, they are better

It all depends, Most generic users do as well if not better on MA, But Depending on the area and plan many times those that have tier 3 like inhalers and so forth can do much better on PDP, Some areas little dif some big dif

Last edited:
Mapd plans work just as well (unwell?) as a pdp Plan. In fact, in my state, they are better

This goes back to the discussions about MA/MAPD vs MedSupp + PDP.

I am pretty sure I have seen comments about some MAPD plan holders finding their drug coverage to be more expensive than it would have been with a PDP plan or they have found that some of their drugs turn out to not be covered by the MAPD plan.

OP was asking about gotcha's, and based on my memory of those comments, I would be being careful in checking out prescription issues, as well as reviewing provider network issues, when looking at MAPD plans.

Again, as you have often commented, concerns may be much less for your customers than those in some of the other states.

It all depends, Most generic users do as well if not better on MA, But Depending on the area and plan many times those that have tier 3 like inhalers and so forth can do much better on PDP, Some areas little dif some big dif

It has much more to do with Florida. I have a plan that will cover all these at a $0 copay.
  • Basaglar Kwikpen
  • Fiasp Vial
  • Fiasp Flextouch
  • Levemir Vial
  • Levemir Flextouch
  • Novolin 70/30 Vial (excluding ReliOn Brand)
  • Novolin 70/30 Flexpen (excludingReliOn Brand)
  • Novolin N Vial (excluding ReliOn Brand)
  • Novolin R Vial (excluding ReliOn Brand)
  • Novolog Vial
  • Novolog 70/30 Flexpen
  • Novolog Flexpen
  • Novolog Mix 70/30 Vial
  • Novolog Penfill
  • Tresiba Flextouch
Many plans cover tier 1 and tier 2 for $0 in the gap, including one PPO.

Actually, I don’t think I’ve EVER seen a pdp Medicare comparison look better than MAPD. But again this is in FL and probably not anywhere else.

Not trying to defend MAPD plans. Believe me I’d much rather do Med supps. Already done 2 today.

To the OP. You’re fine just doing a MAPD vs med supps. Believe me, if you start trying to confuse them more, they will be. Find out if the client is in need of a Med supp or a MAPD. If it’s a MAPD then compare hmo vs ppo. Not the other way around.

It has much more to do with Florida. I have a plan that will cover all these at a $0 copay.
  • Basaglar Kwikpen
  • Fiasp Vial
  • Fiasp Flextouch
  • Levemir Vial
  • Levemir Flextouch
  • Novolin 70/30 Vial (excluding ReliOn Brand)
  • Novolin 70/30 Flexpen (excludingReliOn Brand)
  • Novolin N Vial (excluding ReliOn Brand)
  • Novolin R Vial (excluding ReliOn Brand)
  • Novolog Vial
  • Novolog 70/30 Flexpen
  • Novolog Flexpen
  • Novolog Mix 70/30 Vial
  • Novolog Penfill
  • Tresiba Flextouch
Many plans cover tier 1 and tier 2 for $0 in the gap, including one PPO.

Actually, I don’t think I’ve EVER seen a pdp Medicare comparison look better than MAPD. But again this is in FL and probably not anywhere else.

100% MA is Different in Fl then say NC,TX, IL,SC, And many others

Different in many ways from price, copays, to how many docs are in the network, Especially when you get to more rural area's You will find the plans are not as good in many ways

My biggest concern about any Medicare Advantage Plan is that it is annually renewable, so benefits can change each year & if they are under going something serious health wise, they can not qualify for a med supp

Then move them to a different Med Adv plan that better suits their need/want.

I mean, they're already paying out for medical care anyway.

Med Supps are definitely better, but if you explain both and they still want a MA plan, that's the risk they take.

Here is Pa. MAPD's are in a wide variety. Much comparison should be done (speaking PPO's only) … not all prescriptions associated with MA's are a good thing...it is important to study that aspect of the plan as it pertains to the prospect. It can certainly be a decision maker. When I see prospects who do not know which "world" to chose (original medicare vs. MA) it would be injustice to them to just speak of one avenue to travel.
I do this on my radio program and it is well received.

Back