MAPD to Medicare Supp. Question

TopSecret

Case/Question:

If a client wants to change from a MAPD plan to Medicare Supplement do I have to wait for the disenrollment period Jan Feb. for him to go back to OriginalMedicare then sign him up for the med supp or can I go ahead and sign him up for med supp. ? He is 74 years old. I understand there is no GI. If I wait and he is rejected for some reason he would lose out on his AEP. Please explain what I need to do. I have never wriiten a Med Supp. and only know enough to get in trouble:swoon:
I do not want to mess this guy up.

No, you can sign him up now for a 1/1/12 effective date and be sure to send a cancellation letter signed by him to the MAPD plan.

You should know if he will be approved or not. Just follow the health questions and if he answers "no" to the required one's, then he should be approved if done right. Called the company if you are unsure of any questions or answers

Last edited:
Thank you Chazm. I read the "Choosing a Medigap Policy" book from CMS it didn't elaborate on MAPD to Med Supp, only Med Sup to MAPD. … it’s a little question but had to be asked.

Last edited:
Case/Question:

If a client wants to change from a MAPD plan to Medicare Supplement do I have to wait for the disenrollment period Jan Feb. for him to go back to OriginalMedicare then sign him up for the med supp or can I go ahead and sign him up for med supp. ? He is 74 years old. I understand there is no GI. If I wait and he is rejected for some reason he would lose out on his AEP. Please explain what I need to do. I have never wriiten a Med Supp. and only know enough to get in trouble:swoon:

Most companies usually get a policy issued in two to three weeks. You have plenty of time to submit the app and for the company to process it.

I would suggest that you submit the app and in a couple of weeks call underwriting to check on the status.

If he successfully answers all of the health questions and you have read the underwriting guide then there shouldn't be a problem with the company issuing the policy. If you are in doubt about his answers to any of the questions call and talk to an underwriter.

He is going to have to take a separate PDP plan and will have to sign up for it fairly soon.

Call if I can help.

Case/Question:

Here is how I handle these cases,

1) Apply for the med supp for Jan 1st. Once approved,
2) Apply for the Part D during AEP for Jan 1st. This will trump the MAPD out of the picture.

Back