MAPD to Medsupp First Year

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
picked up a little bit of a nightmare client recently. After going against my best recommendation, she finally realized that I was right.

She is a T65 decided to enroll in an MAPD with a start date of 5/1/16. And she very quickly realized (as I repeatedly told her) that she cannot keep her doctors. Now she wants to switch to a medsupp. :1arghh::1arghh::1arghh:

I have never actually used that 1 year first time enrollment rule for MAPD. but this should be an interesting experience. Do I need to have her write a cancellation letter for the MAPD, or is submitting a PDP app for the SEP enough to kick her off the MAPD?

PDP APP will be enough for most carriers including UHC, The only one that give me an issue with that is equitable.

----------

Also if she can pass underwriting write N, UHC will pay GI on F if it is a GI pay state for them (I forget there GI pay states)

Vic's advice is wrong.

The PDP app will auto cancel the MAPD.

She is still in her open enrollment(T65) for Med sup & can choose any plan with any company.

PDP APP will be enough for most carriers including UHC, The only one that give me an issue with that is equitable. ---------- Also if she can pass underwriting write N, UHC will pay GI on F if it is a GI pay state for them (I forget there GI pay states)
No underwriting for any of the med supp plans with this trial right, even if she were out of OE (which is not the case here). She can get N no UW within 12 months of the MA effective date.

Some (most?) carriers treat trial right the same as GI. I got nailed on one last year and got a whopping $25 one time for all my hard work.

Vic's advice is wrong.

The PDP app will auto cancel the MAPD.

She is still in her open enrollment(T65) for Med sup & can choose any plan with any company.

Your right she is within OE time period.

----------

No underwriting for any of the med supp plans with this trial right, even if she were out of OE (which is not the case here). She can get N no UW within 12 months of the MA effective date.

The only one that hit me for GI pay is plan F UHC,Everyone else paid me full, I usually go G and answer medical questions, I have not needed GI in any of these cases

Let's keep in mind that GI on the med supp is a separate issue from enrolling into the PDP. If the client truly used an ICEP to enroll into the MA upon turning 65, then the PDP application should be written with SEP-65. I would hold off as long as possible before writing the PDP while you wait for the Medigap to be approved.

Back