Marketing/Branding

jcarring99

Expert
Just curious as to what you guys do to brand/market yourself in your communities. I'm looking for some ideas that are effective and make sense dollars wise.

I just began the whole process of branding and marketing myself in my neighborhood so I can't speak to the effectiveness of what I've done so far but I can tell you what I have done and what I'd like to do. I started a website at New Jersey's Business Insurance Lady - WELCOME! and changed all signature tags, etc. to include New Jersey's Business Insurance Lady on everything. As I run out of business cards, postcards, etc. I'll add the same branding to those as well (but I can't really afford to toss what I have currently so as I reorder, I'll update them). I also have car magnets that have the branding and I'll be starting a facebook page as well.

My biggest advice is to choose one niche to focus on and brand yourself as such.

What have you done so far?

jcarring, I train sales teams on this stuff, but I'd be happy to provide a few ideas. If you want, view this video You Tube Final wave file - YouTube and let me know what parts interest you. I just updated it this morning.

You don't need to see the whole thing, the part on marketing is between 4:18 and 7:12. If you'd like me to expand on any of it, let me know.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more... I am convinced that "branding" was created by ad sales people that don't want to or can't track the ROI.

LOL, good point. It's kind of a generic catch-all term for marketing that isn't focused, like a billboard in the middle of nowhere.

"Why in the world are we spending marketing money on that?"

"Well, we're branding."

I agree that branding should be a side effect but it's also quite possible that the OP is at that point in his business where branding is important. So with the original question being how you brand and market yourself....does anyone have any ideas for him on how to do this?

BTW...I don't believe you need to spend a ton of money branding yourself. Once you choose what/who you want to be branded as, the easiest and most cost effective way to begin to do that is to update all of your marketing material with this new brand. Update your website and email signatures to reflect this brand. Answer your phone with a line that enforces your brand and work from there.

Your brand is what people perceive of you (or of a company) and will occur whether you try to devolp or influence it. You can develop/influence a brand by doing things (advertising, marketing, your dress, your demeanor, etc.) but if you do not follow-through there will be a disconnect. For example, if you say you are the lowest priced product/service available then you better be able to defend that position by having the lowest possible priced products, otherwise your brand will become diminished.

Good/bad news for the smaller agency producers is that their brand is generally tied-up in them...they are the business/face of the business.

I agree that branding should be a side effect but it's also quite possible that the OP is at that point in his business where branding is important. So with the original question being how you brand and market yourself....does anyone have any ideas for him on how to do this?

The first thing you want to do is decide what the brand is. In which areas do you want to be considered an authority, an expert? Pick an area and focus on it with all your efforts. Don't worry about "pidgeon-holing" yourself, you'll be able to expand your services with a client once you have your foot in the door with them.

You have to focus, because no one has the advertising/marketing budget to push "everything" effectively. Think about McDonald's. Who do they market to? Kids! Yet a parent has to drive the kids there - I've definitely had my share of McNuggets.

So, what's your brand? An authority on individual health, business life/disability insurance, individual life, retirement, senior products, business benefits? Annuities? Pick one with which you are comfortable and become more educated than your competition. Know it inside and out.

Once you're ready there, market yourself as an authority in that field. Create a "media kit" that introduces you, your background, your services. Leverage the media kit, and put together a Powerpoint on your specialty and present it to appropriate non-profits, trade groups, associations, private groups, investor groups, whatever. Create a leads group (notice I didn't say "join" one) that includes only people who share your target market. Create reciprocal, symbiotic relationships with them, create events centered around your groups' specialties and agree to market them to your books of business and current prospects.

Everything I describe above is pretty cheap, but it requires planning ahead and careful execution.

Last edited:
Back