Marketing Plan to Sell 40 Med Supps a Month?

I only offer Medigap, and only in one state.

No PDP.

No MA.

No cross-selling.

Wish someone had told me this wouldn't work when I shifted to Medicare 5 years ago.

I only offer Medigap, and only in one state.

No PDP.

No MA.

No cross-selling.

Wish someone had told me this wouldn't work when I shifted to Medicare 5 years ago.

I didnt say it was impossible, only that it could be very difficult. Especially for a newer agent. Most customers dont understand what the term MS or MA really means, so when your marketing outside of AEP, you WILL get leads that you cannot sell at the moment. A lot of newer agents cant sustain that long of a sales cycle.

Unless youre working T65 and maybe doing it mostly telesales, I cant imagine how you could make it work, but if you are, please share.

So are you selling year round, only med sups (not cross selling), and meeting prospects face to face? If so, I give you mad props!

I know quite a few agents who exclusively market Medicare Supplements in the Medicare market and do quite well.

I think it has more to do with the area you are marketing to. If the MA % penetration is above 40% and you are trying to exclusively market Med Supp it will be more challenging than if you stick to areas with a lower MA %.

Hi Glen. How can I find out MA % penetration. I'm in Illinois.

Its tough as heck to ONLY market Med supps in the Medicare Market, you gotta have Medicare Advantages in your bag as an option, or it simply wont be worth your time.

Unless, that is, you're cross selling other products like annuities, FE, or LTC.

If your MARKETing is good enough it's actually quite easy to sell only Med Supps and you don't even need to go near MAPD's. You can be a 1-man or woman show, or right up to a call center and be highly successful with just Med Supps, this has been proven time and time again.

No F2F.

Telesales only.

Focus on T65 but get a fair number of people post 65 and outside of AEP.

I will agree it is probably difficult for someone who does not have sales experience, especially insurance sales, to start out with Medicare telesales, but there are folks on this forum that have done it.

I am a one man shop working out of my home. No assistants. No downline agents. I answer my own phone.

Others here have regular offices and a posse of agents that sell under them. They do quite well also. Some only sell Medigap. Others cross sell dental, cancer, etc.

Find something that works for you and do it.

Hi Glen. How can I find out MA % penetration. I'm in Illinois.

Hi entrep1776,

I have all the counties in the US listed on my website that are 40% or less MA Pentration.

Insurance Leads (Click the "Check Medicare Advantage %")

I will update this list as soon as the January data gets posted by CMS ...

----------

If your MARKETing is good enough it's actually quite easy to sell only Med Supps and you don't even need to go near MAPD's. You can be a 1-man or woman show, or right up to a call center and be highly successful with just Med Supps, this has been proven time and time again.

Really well said - from a true marketing professional!

Hi entrep1776,

I have all the counties in the US listed on my website that are 40% or less MA Pentration.

Insurance Leads (Click the "Check Medicare Advantage %")

I will update this list as soon as the January data gets posted by CMS ...

----------

Really well said - from a true marketing professional!

Thanks Glen. I bought your book today off Amazon. 1st Kindle book ever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...nce+kindle&dpPl=1&dpID=51C3VY3E5RL&ref=plSrch

Is there much difference between 30% and 8% penetration as far as how much I'll be able to sell?

Last edited:
No F2F.

Telesales only.

Focus on T65 but get a fair number of people post 65 and outside of AEP.

I will agree it is probably difficult for someone who does not have sales experience, especially insurance sales, to start out with Medicare telesales, but there are folks on this forum that have done it.

I am a one man shop working out of my home. No assistants. No downline agents. I answer my own phone.

Others here have regular offices and a posse of agents that sell under them. They do quite well also. Some only sell Medigap. Others cross sell dental, cancer, etc.

Find something that works for you and do it.

Makes perfect business sense. Im sure its easier said than done. Bravo to you sir.

----------

Yes, I totally agree on the telesales part. Do you think an agent could make it work face to face?

F2F may have a higher closing ratio but very time consuming and costly to run a business that way. You can bring down your COA by cross-selling (which I believe is easier than telesales) but it depends on how valuable your time is.

Windshield time is mostly non-productive.

Thanks Glen. I bought your book today off Amazon. 1st Kindle book ever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...nce+kindle&dpPl=1&dpID=51C3VY3E5RL&ref=plSrch

Is there much difference between 30% and 8% penetration as far as how much I'll be able to sell?

I hope it can be the best $10 investment you can make in your insurance career!

In theory, the lower the MA% the more prospects you will encounter that have Med Supps.

It can vary though and sometimes in the really low MA% areas I have found group plans to be popular (retired teachers etc.)

Back