Marketing strategy for beginners (Auto & Home)?

thecalifornialife

Hey guys. I am starting off as a P&C and Life Agent. I am trying to see where everyone has found success marketing for Auto and Home? I figured this is a good opportunity for those of us who are new to learn from those who have mastered their trade. Thanks!

The first person you need to ask is the one who gave you the contracts. They should have some kind of marketing for you to do.

My number 1 rule is Network. Network. Network.

If you got cookie-cutter suburban homes out there in Cali, I'd go door knock them.

That's what I do. I usually grab 8-10 self-generated leads a day every other day. Then I spend the days I'm not knocking quoting and getting back with my leads. If I'm in the ballpark of saving them some money, great! If not I move on talking about their life or health insurance policies.

You really need a good follow up system, because some are just going to be hard to get back in touch of, and some go into the "witness protection" program, so you just got to keep following up. You're building a pipeline, and if you stay top of mind with at least a monthly content marketing campaign, they'll come around again when they ready to shop.

And after a while, you'll have plenty of people to call on one those rainy/snowy days.

By the way, to keep money coming weekly, you can sell some of your leads. I usually generate way more leads than I can get to. I've found captive agents that are successful to be the easiest to approach. They will typically buy as many rounded home & auto leads as you can get them!

Last edited:
Definitely cover the basics like networking, because you'll get referrals from people as you get to know them. Referrals from 3rd parties like RE agents and bankers are probably the first OMG moment you'll have, where you realize that convincing one person that you can help each other can bring a continuous stream of customers.

In general, I think it helps to think in terms of marketing channels. If you're only doing one thing, and there's one way for people to find out about you, you have one channel. If that's all you need in your area, great. But a lot of times you can write business much faster if you start developing a few extra channels.

In fact, I just wrote an article/post about some powerful but often under-developed marketing channels. Link: The 5 remarkable marketing channels that will accelerate your agency growth. Hope it helps.

Back