Marketing Through an HR Association

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
I thought I'd post in the Employee Benefits forum since HR is directly involved and perhaps get more ideas going.

Today, I met with the President-Elect of a very large HR association that covers many chapters in Southern California. He and I happen to be friends and go to church together.

So, I went over the services that I offer. In particular, Personal Financial Planning (a la Mutual of Omaha), Retirement Planning and Business Planning (based on the 5-ways out of business - death, disability, retirement, voluntary sale & bankruptcy). Basically, this is a more advanced offering that most newby agents would offer.

I didn't talk AT ALL about product as I didn't want to get bogged down in details that didn't matter. This was more of a "big picture mentality" that I wanted to convey.

He wants to help me to market my services! He is going to network with a few people (at a national HR conference) to ask them for advice on my behalf on how they would like to be approached on these services.

My ideas are:
1) I would LOVE a membership directory and permission to use his name to directly contact each person and ask for an appointment.
2) Speaking at meetings.

Anybody else have any other ideas on how I can leverage this tremendous resource and opportunity?

Mutual of Omaha actually does it all - including fee-based portfolio management.

Even then, they allow their insurance agents to call everything a "financial plan" even though it's not a "comprehensive" plan to include investments. It's modular-based financial planning typically beginning with survivor needs and income protection.

If they have a newsletter, a regular informational column penned by you is a good way to develop name recognition and possibly open some doors.

I know you want to get to the companies through the HR people in the association but have you not thought of doing MoO association marketing directly to the HR people?

Interesting,

You would then be prospecting the HR Association members for personal financial services.

It sounds like you could get traction if Mutual Omaha is competitive.

If you get a meeting with seasoned HR professional they will know you are green. Don't hide it, pitch the product with enthusiasm.

Great ideas guys!

Writing for their monthly newsletter - love that one!

Didn't really think about serving the HR members themselves through association marketing... definitely something to consider and will open doors.

Definitely not green... just 'green' in promoting myself in this way and 'green' with MoO.

Back