Marketing to Other Agents

Discussion in 'General Insurance Agent Discussions' started by midwestbroker, Oct 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. midwestbroker

midwestbroker Guru

State:
    Kansas
    I am in the senior market with Humana. Humana offers a $175 referral bonus to other agents that refer seniors to us and enroll in a Humana Medicare Advantage Plan.

In the KC metro, the 2 most popular plans, the HMO and PPO, are only sold through captive agents. PFFS and Part D can be sold by brokers.

I am looking to increase my broker referral base. I have a few brokers under me, a couple who are active, others who don't do anything with it.

If I was to come to your office, what approach would be best? What would you want to hear about it?

Thanks!

2. Sam

Sam Founder Administrator

The best way is really just to open the phone book and call p&c agents. Every insurance agent is always trying to maximize their revenue and you are offering a very simple way.

3. midwestbroker

midwestbroker Guru

State:
    Kansas
    I have a simple approach, and when I am there they are eager to work with me.

However, to get them to actually work seems to be a challenge.

I know that some P&C agents can run an audit of their book by age. I told them to touch base with their senior clients. He can do a courtsy call and make sure they are ok with all their P&C products, and check with the Medicare products. If they have questions or want some info on the MA plans, he can refer them to me.

What is so hard about that? I know that it is work, but isn't that what they are supposed to do?

4. Superchief

Superchief Guru

I am working a similar plan with a couple of P & C agencies here.

I actually approached it a bit different though, maybe I'm giving away too much, but it seemed to motivate them.

One specific one though is a friend of mine, so she's biased to help me.

Again my friend is a P & C agent, but also has a Life & Health license, but she normally refers her senior clients elsewhere. I got her appointed with a couple of my favorite carriers and then offered her a 20% split on the commissions for any lead she refers to me that closes. If her lead doesn't close, she gets no money. She filtered her client database and printed me a copy on the spot. I like it, mainly because I don't have to deal with any commission accounting. Not sure if I'll offer 20% to the next guy though. Like I said, she is a close friend.