Marketplace (Exchange)

RickT

Expert
I recently left my career position in the Medicare world to become independent. I consider myself an expert on the Medicare world, but I am very in experienced in the Pre65 plans.

Is the exchange worth investing time/energy into. Local brokers have told me they don't mess with it because they don't get paid.

I will not have this as a focus of what I am doing, but many times I have a client who turns 65, and the spouse is younger and I just refer them to healthcare.gov

What is your experience(s) with the Exchange. I understand the concept... I would just like a brokers perspective on it. Ball park what is the compensation for the plans (A range is fine). I know the commission is based upon entire premium (with the subsidy)

I just would like real world examples of what you all have been facing with it.

RickT: These are great questions but the answers are more geographic and carrier specific. The Federal Health Exchange is drastically different depending upon where you are selling.

Rick,
Considering I am a Certified Insurance Agent for CA exchange, the work is a lot and often you would find yourself losing clients because the consumer has the right to change agents. So, unless your client is committed to staying with you you could lose business that way. Also, you gather info from consumers to complete an application one of which is income; if they do not cooperate in a timely manner that can hinder the case as well... Ultimately, how hard do you want to work for a VERY LITTLE compensation is the question!

My focus is on Medicare market, the exchange would be more as just a favor for clients spouses. Just curious how it works.

Build a relationship by helping them with the marketplace before 65, and guarantee a Medicare client for life.

Or, run risk of me snagging both your marketplace and Medicare clients cuz u dont do both. Or partner with agent like me, that may be willing to pass back at t65

Back