Mass Mutual As a Career Agent?

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi guys!

I have been looking into a career opportunity with mass mutual as a "captive agent" and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them or advice if this will be a good opportunity. I do not have my series 6 but they want me to get this as well.

One concern I have is how to find prospects/clients to be successful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excellent company, excellent products. Higher end products though, so you need to feel comfortable in that environment. Get specifics on training, you'd probably be trained well on prospecting, planning, and advanced insurance. Don't just look at one company, though. MM's top competitors are New York Life, Guardian and Northwestern Mutual.

Again, this is high-end insurance planning with a little bit of investing thrown in. If you're not comfortable with that, the second tier would be companies like Prudential, Met Life, Mutual of Omaha. More middle-road products and clientele. More people to talk to, more competition to talk to them.

Make sure you know exactly who your target market would be, exactly how you would be trained, exactly how you would be expected to market to them, and exactly what would be expected of you. If it's not a right fit for you, don't do it.

Last edited:
With every benefit they offer you, always follow up with this question:

"How much will THAT cost me?"

And as far as finding people to talk to... that is the $64,000 question - and you MUST have a good action plan BEFORE you begin with Mass. (Well, above and beyond a 'project 200'.)

If you go with MM and I would not be in any rush to get the 6 & 63. I would develop my handle on insurance first.

Last edited:
* wouldn't

And I agree. With all the costs, fees and additional compliance with securities, it would NOT be a good strategy to rush into it.

What location or office are you considering?

Who is the GA?

A lot depends on the office and its training program, between those who claim to train and those who actually do.

Back