MassMutual Feedback Wanted

Crobb73

I just retired from the Air Force and graduated from the University of Phoenix. I am now looking at a new career as an insurance agent. I interviewed at many companies but the company that seems to be the best fit is MassMutual Financial Group.

1) Does anyone have any feedback on MassMutual Financial Group?

I read that they provide more support for their new agents then most companies.
I was told they provide a supplemental income plan for new agents. The first year is $37K as long as you meet their goal.
I was also told that MassMutual can sell products from most insurance companies. This is what keeps their agents competitive.

2) What is the best advice for a new agent without experience?

From my research I know I need to be 100% committed to it, don't expect a lot of income for the first two years, and to pick a product I think I can sell. Anything else?

I would appreciate any advice you could provide to me. I am located in Omaha, Nebraska.

It all depends on your sales manager and GA.

VolAgent is right. If you have a good sales manager and GA it can be a great company. As a career agent with MM you have more freedom than most career agents. Their BD is also better than some others.

Thanks for your services to our country!

I will add this. Its nice to have the ability to sell away, but as long as you are on that Mass Mutual career agent contract, your job is to sell Mass policies. That is priority number one, its what drives you contract. Also, most GAs base your rent and office expenses off of production. Produce enough and no rent or expenses. As production falls off, more and more of that cost becomes yours. Finally, there is no point being a career agent with a company if you don't firmly believe in their product and sell it as much as possible.

I will add this. Its nice to have the ability to sell away, but as long as you are on that Mass Mutual career agent contract, your job is to sell Mass policies. That is priority number one, its what drives you contract. Also, most GAs base your rent and office expenses off of production. Produce enough and no rent or expenses. As production falls off, more and more of that cost becomes yours. Finally, there is no point being a career agent with a company if you don't firmly believe in their product and sell it as much as possible.

Again VolAgent is correct but I think that MM is a good company with good products but they don't have everything one may want to offer.

Again VolAgent is correct but I think that MM is a good company with good products but they don't have everything one may want to offer.

Oh, I really like MM's products. It was a good company, and there are things I miss about the company. My problem was with the co-GA who has since failed upward. My point was, don't sign any career contract unless you are committed to moving their products first and foremost.

Thank you for the feedback. I learned a lot from what was stated so far. Currently I completely the second stage of the interview process. I met with the hiring director and the sales agent. Next week I need to meet with the GA and then if all goes well, I will start my training class in July.

I just wanted to see if MassMutual is a good company to gain some experience with. Since I am brand new to the bussiness, I was looking for a good company to get started. I am not expecting a lot of income at first, but I am committed to it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Since I am just completing the interview process..... is there any way to tell if the company has a good or bad GA? Is there a question I should ask when i meet with him next week that would give me an idea?

Last edited:
Since I am just completing the interview process..... is there any way to tell if the company has a good or bad GA? Is there a question I should ask when i meet with him next week that would give me an idea?

Forget about picking GAs. You'll get assigned to the one closest to your home (doesn't matter; they all suck).

What you need to figure out is whether your target prospects will match the company products. They are geared toward professionals, executives and business owners. If you're not going after those prospects, then MM is not for you. If they are your prospects, then get married to the company and only sell their stuff until you retire. JMO

Back