Match Bay Windows After Hail Damage?

joeyjoey

Newbie here. First house and first claim. Tried searching for "bay windows" and "matching windows" here with no results so I'm creating a new thread. I think I posted in the wrong section the first time as I did not see the "Consumers" area until now.

We had a significant hail storm destroy our roof, siding, trim, certain windows, and much miscellany.

I was a little surprised that insurance (Liberty Mutual) will only cover the actual windows that were broken, and not the rest of the windows that are matching within the same bay. Is this typical? I have to think it devalues our home to have non-matching windows in the same bay, and the current windows are discontinued wooden double-hung ones. We have an alcove in the kitchen with 4 windows, maybe an inch or so apart, 1 of which was destroyed, and an identical situation in the master bedroom directly above. We also have a bay of 9 windows (3x3) in our family room where the trim is virtually touching, and 3 need to be fully replaced, with 2 more of the highest ones just needing new glass as the seals were broken and they are fixed pane. Maybe I'm crazy, but it just seems like bay windows should be matching, if not all windows within a room (for that matter our whole house has/had matching windows until this event).

Our "matching rider" only mentions roofing and siding. We live in Colorado if that matters.

The adjuster was here today. We're not sure if we're being treated fairly or how to proceed if we're not. Should we just take it up with the next in-office adjuster or our agent? I know we could hire a public adjuster but the cost, as a percentage, will be quite high for our total claim. Does anyone know of precedence or where the law stands on this? My google searches are turning up nothing.

Thanks so much everyone.

Your home policy is responsible to repair what was damaged. They do not have an obligation to replace older items if they are not damaged.

There are some exceptions to this but it sounds like they are doing what they are required to under the policy (a CO agent may have better insight on this).

A public adjuster won't help. If there is nothing in the policy about replacing all the windows so they match, a public adjuster can't make it happen.

Now, the possible catch to this is sometimes replacing a few windows caused a building code issue. Not a problem if its a newer home, but it doesn't sound like it. Your policy should have 'Ordinance and Law' coverage which means if the building code requires a more substantial, even unrelated, fix or upgrade, then it will be covered under Ordinance and Law, up to the policy limits (usually 10% of the dwelling value).

Before you go crazy thinking you'll be covered under ordinance and law, it is doubtful. This usually only comes into play if the window is the only second egress out of the room. In essence, if the room is on fire, is there 2 ways out. Windows are frequently the second way out and if so, they have to be a certain size. Old bay windows may not meet the updated requirements, if your local area even has that requirement. Also, from what you describe, it sounds like there may be a second way out anyway.

Dan

Thanks for the reply. "Older" is relative, but this home was built in 1991 so not that old. It's just that these wooden windows have been discontinued so a match is not available. The 9-window bay in the main living area is probably the most striking feature when it comes to the home's appeal, and a mismatch would be quite detracting in my opinion.

It seems odd to someone new to this that these things aren't explicitly stated and defined in policies. These windows are clearly a "set" that go together. Its's clearly subjective the degree to which something "matches", but how are such matters resolved? There must be some language or statute or something, because it's not that different from having a mismatched roof facet or if someone tried to replace carpet in one corner of a room a different color. Actually, I can look around and see dozens of examples of sets in my home where it'd be ridiculous (and de-value) to have mismatched sets, e.g. kitchen cabinets, curtains/blinds, tiles, etc etc.

Does everyone accept that in such an event you are out-of-pocket to replace the undamaged bay windows? This situation must occur in thousands of claims.

How much is the mismatch? You should be able to find something that is 'close'.

Can the windows that were there be rebuilt? Should be a way to make it work without having to redo the entire area.

Dan

Newbie here. First house and first claim. Tried searching for "bay windows" and "matching windows" here with no results so I'm creating a new thread. I think I posted in the wrong section the first time as I did not see the "Consumers" area until now.

We had a significant hail storm destroy our roof, siding, trim, certain windows, and much miscellany.

I was a little surprised that insurance (Liberty Mutual) will only cover the actual windows that were broken, and not the rest of the windows that are matching within the same bay. Is this typical? I have to think it devalues our home to have non-matching windows in the same bay, and the current windows are discontinued wooden double-hung ones. We have an alcove in the kitchen with 4 windows, maybe an inch or so apart, 1 of which was destroyed, and an identical situation in the master bedroom directly above. We also have a bay of 9 windows (3x3) in our family room where the trim is virtually touching, and 3 need to be fully replaced, with 2 more of the highest ones just needing new glass as the seals were broken and they are fixed pane. Maybe I'm crazy, but it just seems like bay windows should be matching, if not all windows within a room (for that matter our whole house has/had matching windows until this event).

Our "matching rider" only mentions roofing and siding. We live in Colorado if that matters.

The adjuster was here today. We're not sure if we're being treated fairly or how to proceed if we're not. Should we just take it up with the next in-office adjuster or our agent? I know we could hire a public adjuster but the cost, as a percentage, will be quite high for our total claim. Does anyone know of precedence or where the law stands on this? My google searches are turning up nothing.

Thanks so much everyone.

My first question is does your matching rider for the roof and siding say they have to match it or not? If they don't have to match your roof they wouldn't have to match your windows. ANYTIME you file a claim you should first talk to a contractor that 1). Can do the work and let you know in advance what the costs will be. That way you will know how much your insurance company should pay.
2). Make sure your contractor has experience with the claims process. That cannot be stressed enough. I have rarely seen a claim that has been paid out properly. On average they are usually 25% short. If you don't know what you should get, do you think they will just offer it up?:D
3). You are always entitled to a free second inspection, with a new adjuster. A Claim or even cashing the first check never means the amount is settled. It's only settled when the work is completed. Unexpected things can happen, that are not covered. Did your adjuster pull your local building codes? They have to pay to upgrade you to any new codes. I have never seen it on a claim unless you submit them yourself. Your adjuster and your Insurance company saves $$$$$ on claims every year, just because people don't know what they are supposed to get.

Back