Maternity Cards?

mariemerganser

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have always discouraged my clients from adding the maternity benefit to their policies in Florida. It seems to me that it makes more sense to negotiate with the facilites on our own. I have always heard about these maternity cards and just figured they were a scam as all they seem to do is negotiate. Does anyone know if these people are able to negotiate prices down anymore than I can negotiate the prices down for my clients.

No, I actually do the negotiating for my clients. She does have coverage with Aetna but they don't have a maternity option. And she is 35 not 23? Not really looking for sarcasm, just trying to figure out if these maternity cards are legit and/or can they negotiate any special deals that I cannot.

No problem - if you post a specific card we can look into it. It actually would be rather easy - call local providers and simply ask if they accept the card.

Every maternity card I have seen is a waste of money. They charge $400+ for access to a "network" that may or may not be real.

I would suggest they pass on the card.

As for negotiating, see if you can find out what per diems run on prenatal & delivery for your area. Offer the doc's and hospital cash on a prepayment schedule. My guess is they will come close to prenegotiated per diems in exchange for cash.

That's what I thought. It seems like they make you pay them to negotiate for you. I guess its a good concept for people who don't know they can negotiate.

So, this client I have was quoted $3100 for a global fee on prenatal only. This is the cash rate. My question is, do you think this is as low as they are gonna get or should I call the MD office and see if we can get it down more?

A 23 year old pregnant girl without maternity coverage is going to negotiate pre-natal and hospital charges without coverage? How?

It's done all the time here in Florida. No need for a silly card. If you pay off before the birth (cash) it's about 50% of the cost.

$3100 for a global fee on prenatal only

Seems high to me. Her age may drive the cost up a bit. More testing on a 35 yr old vs 25 (in general).

Per diems in Atlanta for prenatal, L&D (vaginal birth), hospital and gas passer is $4500.

Add $2500 for C-section, no complications.

Mark (New Health Strategies) posted a way to view the Aetna pricing via their website. Thought I had bookmarked it but can't find it now.

Even though they don't write maternity on individual plans, my guess is you can get pricing info from their site since it is offered to groups.

Maybe Mark will post his secret handshake in this thread.

Back