Maternity Cards?

Why don't they just go on Medicaid and let the tax payer pick up the bill? Why be responsible when the government will reward irresponsibility. In Texas maternity is virtually free, so why buy insurance in the first place.

The issue in Texas is a bit deeper than you might realize and maternity card is fighting back, I mean the one you must be referring to. They have all of their records in check. You all know Texas is a bit tough, in a good way. They (Maternity Card) are not a scam, everyone gets complaints.

The maternity card I know is quite good, $100 a month and they're always getting better, looking for ways to improve. Negotiating in large numbers is easier than my client or I doing it on their (my) own.

The best thing? One client (out of 100's) does home birthing with a midwife. The cost? About $2000. They bought an HDHP of course.

Virtually all Texas carriers are looking at high deductibles $10,000 or $25,000 on maternity - just so the clients get the negotiated rates and will not have to deal with these shady maternity card people.

Why anyone should have to pay $100/mo (for 12 months) to get a negotiated rate is beyond me.

I negotiated cash prices on 2 children (because my individual carrier dropped maternity and group at the time was not an option). I would argue what I negotiated on my own would rival or beat what the $100/mo (or so) "card" could get me.

In Texas 3 of the largest carriers will likely at some point in 2009 offer high deductibles on maternity (like Assurant) so they at least get the the contracted rates (as they should)

Back