Mechanic shop did not fix the car all the way

Molly Sera

I drive a 2016 hyundai tucson. I drove over a curb too fast and there were some damages to my car, the protective covering fell off and some other minor damages. I called the insurance company, and my car got fixed through insurance at a mechanic shop. I had my car back for just a couple days, I only drove small distances with low speeds and there seemed to be no issues whatsoever. When I went on the expressway, my car’s engine overheated. I went to autozone, had to get a new battery, and my boyfriend noticed a leak that the coolant was coming out of (which is why the engine overheated) the mechanic shop did not fix all the damages from my initial insurance claim. The car would not start and had to get towed to my house. My dad called the mechanic shop and got it towed there yesterday. This morning the shop let us know that the engine is not workable anymore. The insurance company is trying to argue that it is my fault for driving it while being overheated. However, the day my engine overheated was the day it stopped working, and we got the car towed home instead of continuing to drive it around. Am I out of luck or should the insurance cover the damages?

You apparently did not pull over and call for help when the engine overheated.

How long and how many miles did you continue driving while the engine was overheated?

Are you the original owner of the car. If so and there's less than 100,000 miles on it, the engine may be covered under warranty. See Page 16 of your warranty book.

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson seems to be notorious for engine failures.

2016 hyundai tucson engine failure at DuckDuckGo

Might not have had anything to do with your accident.

The insurance of the repair garage might be who to call since they missed the damage which caused the failure. Have the shoo and your carrier work out who pays how much for a replacement engine.

Back