Med Sup Cold Call Results - Bad?

Robert1990

So I just stared my first day of cold calling for Medicare supplements. I have sold Medicare supplements working for an insurance company directly under hot leads and inbound so this process is so much different. Today I did 539 dials and got 83 "not interested" I didn't even get 1 person let me quote them, and I'm assuming it is my intro. My intro is short sweet and horrible. " hi this is robert with xyz company, how are you today <response> I was calling to see if you would be interested in saving money on Medicare supplement coverage?" And I fail everytime there but as I never cold called before i don't know what to say. Any suggestions on a good intro for this? I feel like I should at least quote quite a few people wth 83 picking up the phone. Thanks

Never, ever ask how they are.

That's a tip off that this is a sales call and they know you really don't care how they are.

Every rookie that calls is trying to save them money.

You need a different angle. Something to rattle them a bit.

Did you know plan F will be retired in 2020?

Medicare estimates your Part B deductible for 2016 will increase from $147 today to $223. How will you pay for that?

Several people on the forum that have used cold calling have scripts. You can probably get them toss you a bone if you ask.

I hate cold calling and haven't done it in years. What I do know is you have 7 seconds to catch their attention.

Your intro eats up 5 of those 7 seconds and then the punch line fails to deliver.

Skip the "I'm with xyz company"

So only 89 people picked up the phone? The rest were no answer.

Rule of thumb every 100 contacts creates a lead.

What Samarco said. Get rid of asking how they are. You just tanked the relationship for being dishonest because you really don't care how they are.

Instead try introducing yourself then say "the reason for my call today is ..."

What Samarco said. Get rid of asking how they are. You just tanked the relationship for being dishonest because you really don't care how they are.

Instead try introducing yourself then say "the reason for my call today is ..."

But what if he really does care how they are?

So I just stared my first day of cold calling for Medicare supplements. I have sold Medicare supplements working for an insurance company directly under hot leads and inbound so this process is so much different. Today I did 539 dials and got 83 "not interested" I didn't even get 1 person let me quote them, and I'm assuming it is my intro. My intro is short sweet and horrible. " hi this is robert with xyz company, how are you today <response> I was calling to see if you would be interested in saving money on Medicare supplement coverage?" And I fail everytime there but as I never cold called before i don't know what to say. Any suggestions on a good intro for this? I feel like I should at least quote quite a few people wth 83 picking up the phone. Thanks

Cold calling should be out sourced! Your time is too valuable to be cold calling.

So for an intro skip xyz company, take out how are you doing, " this is robert, I'm a licensed agent in your state and I'm calling to......." this is where I'm lost. If anyone has a good intro that works for them please share :) the rest of my sales process is down once I get them talking to me as I've done this before just not cold calling (my old intro was simple "this is Robert with xyz company how are you. Great I was calling because you were just on our website and requested information, what type of coverage do you currently have."

Follow the links Emptyeternity provided. You are still using too many words. As soon as you say licensed insurance agent their guard goes up.

When you call, whether they have caller ID or not, they know you are not their uncle Joe calling to invite them over for cards. Also, if you use Mr, Mrs, or Miss they know you are a salesman.

When I call Medicare prospects I always use their first name.

Hi Joe, this is Bob. Have you heard about the changes coming in Medicare premiums and deductibles next year?

Always start out with a question, other than "How are you?". When you introduce a question the natural response is to answer.

In addition to what Empty provided, try these.

How to Get Your Point Across in 30 Seconds or Less: Milo O. Frank: 9780671727529: Amazon.com: Books

As We Speak: How to Make Your Point and Have It Stick: Peter Meyers, Shann Nix: 9781439153086: Amazon.com: Books

And my all time favorite,

Secrets of Question-Based Selling: How the Most Powerful Tool in Business Can Double Your Sales Results: Thomas Freese: 9781402287527: Amazon.com: Books

Question for you, how old are you? Have you ever cold called before?

Back