Med Sup for 32 Female

incis

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Anyone know who will write a med sup for a 32 female on disability?
Thanks

Anyone know who will write a med sup for a 32 female on disability? Thanks

Is she new to Medicare? If so, anyone who offers U65 Med Supps would write it (not the AARP branded Med Supp). If not, it will likely depend on her disability because she'd have to be underwritten. What state?

yes she is new to medicare...state is NE

As long as there is a carrier who offers an under 65 Med Supp in Nebraska then she's in her open enrollment period since she's new to Medicare (within 6 months of her Medicare start date). I don't know anything about what is offered in Nebraska regarding the U65 Med Supp market. Hopefully someone who works that area can come along and give you some carrier specific info.

Here in Georgia, any carrier who offers Medicare Supplements has to offer them to the under 65 Medicare beneficiaries as well. Of course, if they aren't new to Medicare they have to pass underwriting just like anyone else. And most carriers are much too expensive for their U65 Med Supps. That may be the bigger challenge for her assuming there are some carriers available in Nebraska.

yes she is new to medicare...state is NE

My guess would be any medsupp available could be pricey, like in my state. They don't even offer it in most of my state any more, and in the past it was only the BCBS carrier, at about $900/month.

I looked for info in NE, got a brochure about disability & Medicare in Nebraska.

This document http://www.doi.nebraska.gov/shiip/brochure/disability.pdf
on the NE DOI site has this paragraph on page 4:

"In the State of Nebraska, Medicare supplement policies are not
required to be sold to Medicare beneficiaries under the age of
65. However, when a person on Medicare turns 65, he/she
will have a six‐month Open Enrollment Period to purchase any
Medicare Supplement policy. The six‐month Open Enrollment
Period begins on the date that coverage under Part B begins at
or after age 65. During Open Enrollment, any company selling
Medicare Supplement policies in the State of Nebraska is
required to accept all applicants, regardless of health"

No requirement for carriers to offer policy under OE "no underwriting" rules for under 65. Probably why the one on offer in my state that was non-underwritten was so expensive. Discontinued for no takers.

Good luck! Unless income is high, there could be some Medicare Extra Help extending into Medicaid, depending on income level. It's tough if they are married and the spouse works, often it kicks out that option.

Last edited:
My guess would be any medsupp available could be pricey, like in my state. They don't even offer it in most of my state any more, and in the past it was only the BCBS carrier, at about $900/month.

I looked for info in NE, got a brochure about disability & Medicare in Nebraska.

This document http://www.doi.nebraska.gov/shiip/brochure/disability.pdf
on the NE DOI site has this paragraph on page 4:

"In the State of Nebraska, Medicare supplement policies are not
required to be sold to Medicare beneficiaries under the age of
65. However, when a person on Medicare turns 65, he/she
will have a six‐month Open Enrollment Period to purchase any
Medicare Supplement policy. The six‐month Open Enrollment
Period begins on the date that coverage under Part B begins at
or after age 65. During Open Enrollment, any company selling
Medicare Supplement policies in the State of Nebraska is
required to accept all applicants, regardless of health"

No requirement for carriers to offer policy under OE "no underwriting" rules for under 65. Probably why the one on offer in my state that was non-underwritten was so expensive. Discontinued for no takers.

Good luck! Unless income is high, there could be some Medicare Extra Help extending into Medicaid, depending on income level. It's tough if they are married and the spouse works, often it kicks out that option.

I just checked CSG and it didn't show any companies offering Disability Supplements.

Looks like the only option is Medicare only with a PDP or a Medicare Advantage plan.

Anyone know who will write a med sup for a 32 female on disability?
Thanks

It's so different state-by-state. Most states don't want to mandate their offering. Those that do usually don't have any restriction on rates, so the rates can be more than double what it would have been for a 65 year old.

Combine that fact with the fact that most companies will pay you little, if any, commission on taking on such a case, often the best advice for those on Medicare due to Disability <65 is to get on the most benefit-rich MAPD plan they can UNTIL such time as they turn 65. Then, they have another open enrollment where they can join any Medicare Supplement plan (with full comp to you, too.)

Daytona

That is actually exactly what I did for the last 2 u65 that I had come in. Low income in both cases made the premiums undoable especially considering that they are typically 3x the normal o65 costs. We plan to roll them to a standard supp plan when they have the turning 65 open enrollment.

Back