Med supp clients that cancel.....

senior-advisor-indiana

Guru
5000 Post Club
Indiana
I was wondering how you guys get your clients back after they cancle there med supp with you to go to another plan. It used to happen to me more up until about a year ago. I have'nt had a charge back in quite a while. But I do have clients that have been on the books for more than a year fall off from time to time.

It seems everytime I call to save the policy they never answer the phone. When they do answer the phone( which is rare) , they wont talk to me about it and just tell me they will call if they are unhappy. Most of my cancellations came before because I was captive and couldn't switch them to a different carrier. I think the reason its not happening so much now is because I have better rates and multiple companies.

Any suggestions on how to get them to open up to me after they cancel or how to get them back? I do notice that my favorite clients never cancel.

It's not your "favorite clients" who never cancel, it's the clients you have who think of you as their "favorite agent" who never cancel. Think of what you do for them that you don't do for the others.

Once they cancel it is very difficult to get them back for at least a year. Switching policies for them was most likely a tramatic experience. To most people talking about insurance, especially to an insurance agent is a "tramatic experience". Once they make a decision they don't want to talk any more about it.

I try to instill in my clients that if someone tells you they have a "better policy", call me or have the agent call me. (I have actually had agents call me and tell me to tell my client to cancel the policy they have with me and to take a policy from them!)

Only if they really get screwed will they call you after switching and admit they made a mistake and "beg" to be taken back. (I had that happen twice already this year.)

Call those who cancel. If that doesn't work send them a very nice, warm and fuzzy letter and call them after they get their next premium increase.

It is usually that the other agents policy is less expensive. Not much you can do for at least 6 to 12 months except stay in contact with them. Keep sending birthday letters etc. and call in the near future. Do not try to pressure them, if you do you will lose them forever.

I was wondering how you guys get your clients back after they cancle there med supp with you to go to another plan. It used to happen to me more up until about a year ago. I have'nt had a charge back in quite a while. But I do have clients that have been on the books for more than a year fall off from time to time.

It seems everytime I call to save the policy they never answer the phone. When they do answer the phone( which is rare) , they wont talk to me about it and just tell me they will call if they are unhappy. Most of my cancellations came before because I was captive and couldn't switch them to a different carrier. I think the reason its not happening so much now is because I have better rates and multiple companies.

Any suggestions on how to get them to open up to me after they cancel or how to get them back? I do notice that my favorite clients never cancel.

Did you ever get your client back or are you still "client-less?"

Rick

Sometimes the clients are more stupid than you realize. A couple of agents show up at their house and explain to them the inferiority of their current plan F.

The funniest part is they may switch and pay more for the new policy because of all the added benefits. I refuse to name any carrier agents that engage in this practice, but for the sake of example, let's say the company name is "Canker's Wife".

Personally, I don't think an independent agent should lose many clients based on price, most people are not going to switch because someone offers them a $5-$10 savings. They will switch if they're weak willed, and a couple of lying ass agents show up and push them into "packaging" their benefits, and explain about all the good shitt that's coming their way.

You know, I seem to lose maybe 2 or 3 supp clients a year due to death, some agent pimping MAPD or the client is just stupid. Move on. I'm not going to chase people around. I call them, send a card and then I'm done!

Thanks Rick. You revived an 8 year old thread and now people are posting like it's a new thread.

But I did enjoy hearing about the new company, Canker's Wife.

Thanks Rick. You revived an 8 year old thread and now people are posting like it's a new thread.

But I did enjoy hearing about the new company, Canker's Wife.

It's nice looking back at older posts. It's interesting how you change throughout your career. I couldn't careless now if I loose a client here or there. I probably lose around 10 (including death)per year. I will try to contact them once or twice but move on and forget them rather quickly. But now I may take some advice from Frank and put them in my contact list for their anniversary date. Should be able to win a few back each year that way...

It's nice looking back at older posts. It's interesting how you change throughout your career. I couldn't careless now if I loose a client here or there. I probably lose around 10 (including death)per year. I will try to contact them once or twice but move on and forget them rather quickly. But now I may take some advice from Frank and put them in my contact list for their anniversary date. Should be able to win a few back each year that way...

Don't get "careless" and "loose" with your words and you won't lose many. But if you do LOSE a few, I'm sure you couldn't CARE LESS.

Grammar is important. It can be the difference between you helping your uncle Jack off a horse, or helping your uncle jackoff a horse.

Don't get "careless" and "loose" with your words and you won't lose many. But if you do LOSE a few, I'm sure you couldn't CARE LESS.

Grammar is important. It can be the difference between you helping your uncle Jack off a horse, or helping your uncle jackoff a horse.

Yeah, but this is SAI.................... Close is good enough. :biggrin:

Back