Med supp cold calling/AARP

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
Looking for general comments here about cold calling/direct mail for med supps, specifically AARP. From previous discussions, we have established that AARP rates are not competitive in many states, but in my state they are the absolute lowest so that is a background fact.

The dilemma in regard to cold calling is that AARP does not allow cold calling of its branded supps even though cold calling for med supps is not prohibited by state or fed law as far as I know. If that is not so, then I am all ears.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to crack that nut? If I am appointed with a couple other med supp carriers can I call generically without using any reference to AARP and then discuss and quote from there? What are your thoughts here?

Winter

Looking for general comments here about cold calling/direct mail for med supps, specifically AARP. From previous discussions, we have established that AARP rates are not competitive in many states, but in my state they are the absolute lowest so that is a background fact.

The dilemma in regard to cold calling is that AARP does not allow cold calling of its branded supps even though cold calling for med supps is not prohibited by state or fed law as far as I know. If that is not so, then I am all ears.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to crack that nut? If I am appointed with a couple other med supp carriers can I call generically without using any reference to AARP and then discuss and quote from there? What are your thoughts here?

Winter

From what I understand, reps who sell the AARP med sup are allowed to cold call but they can't mention AARP until the prospect shows interest in discussing it.

Winter, sadly I can't comment about your ? as I have no relationship with AARP. However, I HAD to comment on that pic! I can honestly say that is the most bizare thing I have ever seen (and that includes the student film on Yoko Ono).

From what I understand, reps who sell the AARP med sup are allowed to cold call but they can't mention AARP until the prospect shows interest in discussing it.

How did you arrive at that understanding, and what does that mean exactly? Do you mean that a person can call and ask or talk generically about med supps and if they have an interest in knowing more you can talk about AARP plans. In other words you can lead with the topic of med supps but cannot lead with AARP. You cannot call representing or implying that you are representing or offering only AARP but can call about med supps and if the client has an interest you are free to discuss what rates might be, including AARP. Does this match your thinking or no?

Winter

How did you arrive at that understanding, and what does that mean exactly? Do you mean that a person can call and ask or talk generically about med supps and if they have an interest in knowing more you can talk about AARP plans. In other words you can lead with the topic of med supps but cannot lead with AARP. You cannot call representing or implying that you are representing or offering only AARP but can call about med supps and if the client has an interest you are free to discuss what rates might be, including AARP. Does this match your thinking or no?

Winter

I can't say where I got the "impression" but I can say that it is correct and it is the way their "captive' agents are instructed to handle cold calling.

When I cold call for Med Supps I never mention a company. My call is more to get info from them than to talk and have them listen. I never learn anything when I'm talking.

The bulk of my "cold calling" though is to people I have talked to in the past. Most of them don't remember speaking to me but will pretend that they do. People don't like to admit that they have forgotten something. My recycled leads are where most of my sales come from.

The main piece of info I want from them is the name of the company they currently have their Supp with. If I have that I can accurately guess what plan they have and I do know what their premium is.

The next thing I want to know is some basic health history. (Not necessary with AARP but it does get them talking.) If you ask most seniors health questions and do it as though you are really interested in their bowel movements and indigestion they will begin sharing all sorts of information you also don't want to know.

Once we have established that they are paying too much money for their current Supp then I set the appointment.

When I cold call for Med Supps I never mention a company. My call is more to get info from them than to talk and have them listen. I never learn anything when I'm talking.

The bulk of my "cold calling" though is to people I have talked to in the past. Most of them don't remember speaking to me but will pretend that they do. People don't like to admit that they have forgotten something. My recycled leads are where most of my sales come from.

The main piece of info I want from them is the name of the company they currently have their Supp with. If I have that I can accurately guess what plan they have and I do know what their premium is.

The next thing I want to know is some basic health history. (Not necessary with AARP but it does get them talking.) If you ask most seniors health questions and do it as though you are really interested in their bowel movements and indigestion they will begin sharing all sorts of information you also don't want to know.

Once we have established that they are paying too much money for their current Supp then I set the appointment.

Very good. Thanks

Winter

Hold yourself to be a consultant. Compliance says do not use a carrier's name specifically. It's not our job to publicize their name and they don't want us to. I will name off multiple names to let them know I am independent and will find them the best rate.

Latest posts

Back