Med Supp Conf (Again)

TDFnCali

Guru
1000 Post Club
California
Ok folks,

I need to know if this is worth it....cause the conf + hotel + flight + food is gonna be like $1500, that can buy me A LOT of leads!

If you have ever attended, pls give me your opinion....Im looking at either just the free day or the entire thing.

Is the free day worth it?

Is the paid portion worth it?

Is ANY of it worth it?

Thx

Not an agent/never been, but .....

Free day, Med supp side, scanning program:

For an experienced, successful agent who has also been a forum member for any length of time, I think the afternoon MedSupp program would be a waste of time. 2:25 and 2:45 sessions might have some info I've not seen here, but I wouldn't fly to Dallas for it.

AM med supp sessions, I'd be willing to bet you'd find you already know at least half of what will come up there.

On the senior side, there is an excellent Dental thread going here.
Rousemark can probably tell you as much as or more about effectively selling cancer and critical care insurance than anything you would get there,

Last edited:
I just booked my hotel and plan on going. I can't imagine that it will be a waste of time and besides it's a business write off. If anyone wants to get together for a cocktail or two PM me. I plan on getting in there around lunchtime on Tuesday and leaving Thursday.

BTW the Hilton Garden in is $140/night right now and a 10 minute walk from the Sheraton.

I will likely go up as it's pretty close to me and I can get together with many friends I don't often see.

I would absolutely warn everyone with expectations of walking out of there feeling super motivated with a ton of information about how to build a successful Med Supp business. The content delivered in the last conference was so dry and boring we were all checking our emails and texting each other asking why were were wasting our time sitting there.

The free day had some good speakers last year but they were all rushed off the stage at the 18 minute mark while the promoter kept telling everyone there was housekeeping to do and he had such a tight schedule. It didn't take very long for us to realize this conference is all about making money for this guy, not delivering high quality content.

If you enjoy hearing topics such as underwriters talk about how they're improving their processes, or how some other organization gathers data for what they do, you should be pleased. Plenty of carrier/sponsors there who would love you to sign up under them too, if that's your sort of thing.

Then again I have no idea how the promoter is pitching this. If I for one were to put on a Med Supp conference it would be related to how to build a successful business and increase your PROFIT. No profit, no business. Focus on things that matter if you want to be successful.

So don't think for a moment this is a conference to help you build your Med supp business, it's not. Perhaps you'll get some of that from networking, but hell you could sit at home for free while reading past posts on this forum and taking notes for 3 days and get 1000X more value.

Any new agents just starting out and on a budget would be very wise to not spend the money and attend IMO.

I just booked my hotel and plan on going. I can't imagine that it will be a waste of time and besides it's a business write off.

I was just coming back to post again and I see Bevo's post,

That is a very clear and detailed explanation of the impression I got from looking the info over.

The way I was going to try to express it is--If you have the cash flow for the expense, have a good memory, are an auditory learner and are a social person then this would be something to do. If you don't have those things then it's pretty iffy.

If I was trying to sell med supps by phone and was at the point where I would rather take raw eggs and vomit rather than pick up the phone and call someone, the thing that would help me is to know what Chazm or Somarco would do in that situation.

If my car was stopped on a dusty country road in the FE field because my foot would not come off the brake, what would help me is to know what springbok or jdeasy would do in that situation.

Knowing the opinions of an ins co "marketing shirt" or a $1,000 a day independent consultant would not be particularly helpful to me in those situations. I want to know what the guy that's been chased by dogs in the field would do.

I think new agents on a budget would do very well to note Bevo's last sentence and consider the information available on site or available indirectly through links.

For example; I cannot imagine an 18 minute session on cold calling providing any better information than what is being provided in that thread.

I was just coming back to post again and I see Bevo's post,

That is a very clear and detailed explanation of the impression I got from looking the info over.

The way I was going to try to express it is--If you have the cash flow for the expense, have a good memory, are an auditory learner and are a social person then this would be something to do. If you don't have those things then it's pretty iffy.

If I was trying to sell med supps by phone and was at the point where I would rather take raw eggs and vomit rather than pick up the phone and call someone, the thing that would help me is to know what Chazm or Somarco would do in that situation.

If my car was stopped on a dusty country road in the FE field because my foot would not come off the brake, what would help me is to know what springbok or jdeasy would do in that situation.

Knowing the opinions of an ins co "marketing shirt" or a $1,000 a day independent consultant would not be particularly helpful to me in those situations. I want to know what the guy that's been chased by dogs in the field would do.

I think new agents on a budget would do very well to note Bevo's last sentence and consider the information available on site or available indirectly through links.

For example; I cannot imagine an 18 minute session on cold calling providing any better information than what is being provided in that thread.

You completely ignore the thing that is normally the greatest value to be gained at these conventions. It is not what you may learn from the speakers, or the pump up from the rah, rah, rah but the relationships you establish with the other attendees.

The interaction with fellow agents away from the meetings is always of greater value than the talking heads putting on the conferences.

It's rare to have actual agents doing the presentations. It's usually desk jockeys that tell made up stories about their production back in the days.:yes:

The fellowship is where the value is.

Believe me when I say I've been to a few Conferences.
Jimmy Carter was president at my first.
As rousemark & jdeasy said, it's all about the other attendee's. Sharing stories, bouncing idea's off each other, etc.
The speakers at these conferences are all so called experts. They have failed at personal production. Therefore, they work for companies, and lecture.

Back