Med Supp or Adv for Disability

mariemerganser

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have a client (in Florida) who is looking for either a Med Supp or Med Advantage but she is on Medicare b/c of her disability. I know this makes everything harder. Can someone please tell me which carriers, both for Advantage and Supplement will write people on Disability for Florida.

I have a client (in Florida) who is looking for either a Med Supp or Med Advantage but she is on Medicare b/c of her disability. I know this makes everything harder. Can someone please tell me which carriers, both for Advantage and Supplement will write people on Disability for Florida.

From my experience, people who are under 65 and on Medicare get hit with very high premiums if they pick up a Med Supp. I live in OH, and am not familiar with Florida Regulations.

My clients under 65 are all enrolled in an HMO or PPO. Some also have an indemnity plan.

United American has a disability MedSupp. It's expensive. I believe BCBSFL will enroll them in an MA plan - IF they live in a county where offered (think it's Dade/Broward/Palm Bch/Hillsborough/Pinellas only?)

I don't think premium is an issue. Right now she is on a Golden Rule HIPPA plan......$1500/mth.

Every company I write for has a Med Supp for people 0 to 64.

If you will do the research I'm sure you find that to be true in Florida also.

I looked at a couple of rate sheets and in Missouri the premium is about $200 per year more than to get the same Med Supp policy for someone who is 65. Not a huge difference considering the person on disability already has some kind of health problem.

I do not favor MA plans even for healthy people unless that person can tell me exactly when they are going to become "unhealthy" so I can write them a Med Supp the day before.

A Med Supp will give them the greatest flexibility in seeking quality health care not only where they live but anywhere in the US. Their disability may be best treated say by a doctor or hospital in another state. If so they will have major problems if they have an MA plan.

Oh, MA is a generic term for all plans offered under Part C of Medicare. It would really be helpful if you identify what kind of MA plan you are asking about.

Frank,

Thanks for the info. Yeah she wasn't really interested in the Advantage but I wanted to show her everything. I have although been told my multiple people that finding a Supp for people on disability is hard here in Florida. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

On another note, I would love a demo on your product.

In Ky, most only offer plan A to those under 65 and it's $50/mo higher for plan A for an under 65 than for a person 65.

Here, an MA is just about the only option.

Does anyone know of any that are in Ohio -- I have a couple of folks that need an underage medsup --

Frank -- does yours offer in Ohio?

Back